Egg Box building (Town Hall extention)- Was it so awful?

Originally posted by algy

The windows didn't open, the air being circulated throughout the building. !

The windows did open if you knew someone with a special key. You werent supposed to open them, but at times, it got stifling, and we persuaded the key person to open ours just a little bit!

The windows were cleaned by turning them inside out. The cleaner would hitch himself to a special harness on the wall, use the key to release the window and it swivelled round to clean.

Originally posted by hagardriley

I thought it was an excellent piece of architecture and the roof garden outside the canteen was brilliant. I spent many happy hours sitting out there eating my lunch back in the 1980s.

BIG mistake demolishing it.

I agree, it was a Sheffield landmark and a shame to loose it. Just like the wedding cake.

I personally think the Old Peace Gardens was far superior, but not sure about the town hall extension. It was far better that that ugly hotel thing that has sprung up, now THAT is foul and it does not blend or fit with anything at all.

If you look at that section of the city centre now it looks like someone has cut bits out of various city centres and stuck them randomly together and shoehorned them all in. Ghastly.....

• 5 years later...

The main thing that annoyed me about the egg box was the fact that such a monstrosity was allowed to be built,beside a great building like the old town hall, Try getting planning permision to build a garage or extension to your property which looked like that, No chance

This entire city is out of character. The list of architectural abominations that have been built and continue to be built (in this city) is endless.

I liked the eggbox. . . It had character, unlike most of the creations in Sheffield.

Not only character but it was functional, everything under the same roof, now if you need certain departments that should be linked you have to travel all over the city, some departments are at Attercliffe.

Taking this further the so called Town planners give us a public building telling us how wonderful it is and then 10,20, 30, years later tell us it is complete crap and needs pulling down a complete waste of the Earths resources and taxpayers money. Examples.The Hole in the road, The Wedding cake, The Castle Market, The Tower Blocks.

I asked a city counsellor why they were pulling down a building that was fairly new, his reply was "after 20 years or so all buildings get tired and out of date and need to be replaced" I said " then why am I living in a 60 year old council house" The silence was deafening.

I asked a city counsellor why they were pulling down a building that was fairly new, his reply was "after 20 years or so all buildings get tired and out of date and need to be replaced" I said " then why am I living in a 60 year old council house" The silence was deafening.

That's about right and while we are on about social housing what about all the council houses this council has demolished this when there are thousands of people who cannot get a house.

0n top of that they have sold the land of to private builders .

P.S.Forgot to mention the NEW fire station they have just demolished, lovely brickwork lovely building, you couldn't,t make it up.

Archived