Your opinions on Mental Illness

Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?

• Yes
    • No

With Ronnie O'Sullivans recent problems and his walkaing out of a Championship it got me thinking, do we in the UK pour scorn on those people unfortunate enough to suffer serious mental illness.

Do we unconciously, or conciously, treat those with a mental illness with less compassion than we should ?

My son had Clinical Depression & it was sad to see the pain in his face,we tried to help all we could,but it is a serious condition & more people should understand that you cannot just snap out of it.Ronnie has suffered from nervous problems ,he drinks warm water to settle his stomach,if he is suffering he should find help A.S.A.P.He is a top player.

Not only do I think that people with mental health problems are treated as pariahs by our society, but I also think that there are just too many carers and family members that end up with mental heath problems themselves as a result of the stress of trying to do their best for their loved ones, without the support that they need.

Ronnie O'Sullivan? There's a difference between mental illnesses and being a bottler.

Big pants.

He is ill. He couldn't play. I feel for those who paid to see him cos' he is an exciting player and the only one with personality since Paul Hunter died. But the flipside of him being an exciting player is his illness.

Being a snooker player apparently means you have to think 10 steps ahead in the game. You can't do that logically if you are having a freak out.

Ronnie O'Sullivan? There's a difference between mental illnesses and being a bottler.

There is the problem, Lots of people don't know what mental illness is so they just say he's a bottler or some other comment that really dosn't help the illness. Until someone really close gets ill you may never understand. Suggest you have a look here http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/ it may help understanding some if it.

With Ronnie O'Sullivans recent problems and his walkaing out of a Championship it got me thinking, do we in the UK pour scorn on those people unfortunate enough to suffer serious mental illness.

Do we unconciously, or conciously, treat those with a mental illness with less compassion than we should ?

I'd say most people are less compassionate about mental illness because they don't understand or are ignorant about the situation, so yes I would say we are in general quick to condem people suffering from a mental illness.

Archived