Your opinions on Mental Illness

Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?

• Yes
    • No

I thank you for your kind works. Sadly (which is what is getting me down) I don't really think anyone ever gets the fact that I have more or less tried EVERYTHING.

You mention medication. I have been on medication for 5 years. I started with citalopram, which didn't work one bit. Moved on to effexor, same story. Tried Prozac I suffered from terrible side effects for weeks, and now on dosulepin which doesn't help either.

I have helped myself plenty and until last year was trying to be positive. I still am, and refuse to sit at home and moan. Every single time i go out I'm ill. Take today. Town. All was ok, and halfway through our time spent in the library and felt terrible. Nauseated (as in I was near sure i was going to throw up) light headed, cold/warm at the same time etc... Had to rush back to the car. It's just getting worse. I've been to CBT, just had 10s of sessions with my hypnotherapist and NOTHING has helped 1%. And believe me when you're desperate to get better you believe in it. It just hasn't helped.GP's I've seen 10s of them too, with my girlfriend. They're no help either. See how I feel? Where can I now turn?

Do you have any other symptoms, like paranoia, voices, racing thoughts, mood swings, irrational behavior or halucinations?

You can PM me if you want with this, some people don't want to spread the entirety of their mental baggage on here

Do you have any other symptoms, like paranoia, voices, racing thoughts, mood swings, irrational behavior or halucinations?

You can PM me if you want with this, some people don't want to spread the entirety of their mental baggage on here

Thankfully not as severe as this- Although for the past couple of months I might just drop off to sleep and have the most disturbing of nightmares, they seem so real, and next thing wake up, only been to sleep for 10 mns. Mood swings frequently too, but that is kinda normal I guess.

Thankfully not as severe as this- Although for the past couple of months I might just drop off to sleep and have the most disturbing of nightmares, they seem so real, and next thing wake up, only been to sleep for 10 mns. Mood swings frequently too, but that is kinda normal I guess.

The nightmares and the mood swings sound like the symptoms I suffered. I also found that when I was initially given just anti-depressants thay didnothing for me. I'm assuming you have told your doctor about the mood swings as the treatment for Bi-polar is different to that of Uni-polar. I am in no way medically qualified but if you haven't mentioned this to your Doctor then go and tell him. If you see a Psychiatrist/Social Worker, then broach the subjuct of Bi-polarity and see if it is something they have looked into.

Well I've done it!! Got myself a job starting a week on Monday. Hooray. I will be able to sort out my financial problems so hopefully that will be the first stage in my recovery, and I have an appointment at my doctors next week to see a different doctor. This is a massive step forward for me and I am just hoping I can get my 'business head' back on in time and do a good job as the last time I tried I was sacked.

Promise me you will all keep working towards your own solutions and never give up on the things that you want. At the beginning of this week I seemed like a hopeless case and was really frightened about the way things were going and now I have this opportunity.

Thank you for all your support. :thumbsup:

The reason many people with MD stop taking their medication is because of the side effects

Any mood stabilisers dont actually stabilise you all they do is remove the abillity of the mind to alter its emotional state, i.e. no misery but no happiness. Imagine never feeling an emotion again not happy not sad not elated not angry. It creates a stable person via zombification.

To control any hallucinations, either auditory or visual, an anti-psychotic medication is prescribed. The most common of these Olanzapine works by subduing the brain to the point of being barely awake so as to stop the emotional spikes which cause the psychotic symptoms........

Is it possible some of these effects are due to excessive dosage, needing time to build up tolerance, or the first medication or two tried not being the ones most suitable for that particular person and that communication and cooperation with an understanding doctor might overcome these problems?

As I have said before, some people with some conditions respond to non-medication treatments, and some need medication. Also, some may need a combination, and some forms of psych. disorder are more likely to respond to medication than others.

Not only are all medications in a group [like for example SSRI antidepressant group or the mood-stabiliser group] subtly different from each other, but peoples' biochemistry varies subtly too, so that whether a particular medication will work for a particular person is not entirely predictable. So, there is a certain amount of educated trial and error involved. If a particular medication is knocking you about you should be able to talk to the treating doctor about it and he or she should listen. You need to work together to find the right medication in the right dose for your specific disorder and your specific tolerance patterns.

Of course no psychotropic medication should be stopped abruptly, but tapered off over several weeks, as withdrawal reactions can occur. [Rebound pain can occur from suddenly dropping large doses of pain-killers too.]

And yes, psychological and stress factors should be addressed too.

• 2 years later...

I cannot believe it is four years since I started this thread. When I first started it I hoped it would raise peoples awareness as to just how debillitating a mental illness can be.

The fact that four years later, while my situation has improved greatly, many people still suffer in silence through fear of what others will think of them.

A recent study showed that 25% of employers would have no problem employing some one with a history of mental illness looks amazing but the fact that 75% would possibly have an issue with hiring someone who had suffered mental health issues is geuinely scary.

Mental illness is not just about illlness' such as schizophrenia and bipolar but also covers things such as stress and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I know it's a well worn statistic but 1 in 4 people will be diagnosed with a mental illness in their life time. The average family has 2.4 children so that means that everyone one of you who is in an "average" house one person around you RIGHT NOW will at some point suffer from a serious illness.

As a society we need to dispel some of the myths that surround mental illness. Using the terms nutter and psycho should become as sociallaly unnaceptable as the terms **** and ****** (apologies for the language but I feel it's necessary in making my point). No person would consider these acceptable terms for describing a section of society yet they are still seen as aceptable ways of describing people like myself.

Yes a diagnosis of a serious mental illness changes not only your life, but the lives of those around you, but it is not the curse it was fifty years ago. Given the right support and the right medication people can still go on tolive an amazing life. I'm not saying it is easy because it isn't, it will take determination from oth the patient and those supporting them but it can be acheived.

Like any illness it takes courage and fight to overcome. Once you have done it however, you realise that you have beaten the greatest obstacle anyone could place in front of you. Once you have beaten a mental illness giving that presentaion at work suddenly isn't that difficult.

To those who consider people with mental illness to be nothing more than "psychos" and "weirdos" who talk to themselves and think they are people who should be feared. I can assure you when I am that unwell I am far more of a risk to myself than I am to anyone of you.

This documentary explains the working within the MEntal Health system in the UK. The days of Bedlam are long gone.

For those who are dealing with bipolar either as a patient or a family member if you can find Stephen Fry's documentary "Life of a Manic Depressive" you will gain an insight into the illness.

You will never tell someone to "cheer up" or "calm down" again.

I don't wish to set myself up as a poster boy but if anyone has questions please PM me and I will be happy to answer questions as well as I can.

Rich.

My family are very much against 'mental illness' - they have no time for it and have the typical 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' attitude.

My niece has started going to counselling sessions, something that I too have recently started to help with anxiety issues, although I haven't publicised the fact that I am going to my family or friends. I commend my niece for being open about going to counselling sessions but already, I have heard remarks being made about her by other members of the family, basically just not having time for the possibility of any 'mental illness'.

I mentioned to my mum yesterday that my niece was going to counselling and she couldn't understand why people insist on going to see counsellors because in her day, people had to just 'get on with it'. Having had a particularly bad day myself, this comment really upset me as I'd love more than anything to just get on with it but am finding it hard to cope at the moment and felt I couldn't confide in her that I too am seeing a counsellor to try and work through some issues.

The mental health stigma that my family has has reached me insofar as I don't want to take any medication, I want to find a solution to any issues I have in a sustainable way, i.e. counselling but on weeks like this when I am particularly struggling, a few magical pills feel ever so appealing.

Archived