Your opinions on Mental Illness

Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Are people with mental illness treated with the compassion they deserve ?

• Yes
    • No

From a personal perspective, I've suffered from a brief spell of clinical depression and have been lucky enough to come out the other side. I took medication for 3 or 4 months, and I know that while I was depressed I genuinely 'wasn't here'.

There are chunks of my life that I only know about through diaries, timesheets, tax returns and ratty letters form my bank manager. There were odd occasions during those times I do remember - things like princess Diana dying, big stuff like that. I've sort of mislaid two or so years of my life... :(

And no, people on the whole don't treat you with much compassion. I'm convinced that some folks think depression is contagious. :)

It's widely known he suffers from Manic Depression thats about as serious as it gets hardly a bottler !

If we're going to be accurate and/or politically correct Ronnie is diagnosed as suffering from Bipolar.

Emotional highs and lows are part of life for everyone. But for someone with bipolar disorder, these ups and downs can be so extreme they can interfere with daily life. Sometimes they can even be dangerous.

One day a person with bipolar disorder may feel so depressed that they can't get out of bed. Work may seem impossible.

On another day that person may feel great, full of endless energy and creativity. But other people might think that their actions are reckless and out of control.

Bipolar disorder is a lifelong medical condition that can be confusing and unpredictable, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Learning more about bipolar disorder can be helpful in managing this medical illness.

If we're going to be accurate and/or politically correct Ronnie is diagnosed as suffering from Bipolar.

As I understand it Bipolar is simply the modern medical term for a manic depressive.

But to get back to the point. Yes, people widely do not treat mental illness as seriously as they do physical illness. There's multiple reasons for this, only some of which are justified. The most obvious one is that if you leg is broken, people can SEE you wearing a plaster cast. Nobody can flip open your skull to look at your brain and see which bits of it are not working properly.

I made exactly this comparison on the Sports forum; Paul Hunter was ill with a physical condition - cancer - which severely affected his snooker playing. Everyone was full of sympathy, even when he had to forfeit matches because he simply couldn't play that day. O'Sullevan, on the other hand, has a mental condition - bipolar - which is not fatal, but is arguably even harder to live with. When he has to forfeit a game because he simply can't play that day, everyone thinks he's throwing a paddy and should be punished for it.

Accepted, but in my experience, professionals still tend to use either term - indeed, many prefer MD to BP simply because it aids patients'/families'/social understanding of the condition.

Apologies - not my best post . BP is the current term for what was previously described as MD although both are still currently used. I personally prefer the use of the BP term as in my experience is holds less negative connotations. Just a personal preference I guess.

Bi-polar affective disorder is the term currently used when describing someone with Manic Depression, Uni-polar depression is what was referred to as clinical depression.

Archived