Sciatica advice sought

Mine is definitely work related and I was given a MRI scan and physio which discovered I had a disc slightly out of place. However when it was moving back in it rested on my femoral nerve at the front and caused unbelievable pain. There is a thread about sciatica in the Disability and Carers group on here.

I thought mine was stress related, in fact I am convinced of it. It the worst pain I have ever experienced, that and toothache, and I have had three children. I could barely walk for weeks, and it took me about a year to function comfortably again without limping.

I did some gentle gardening, as soon as the pain allowed to start off (literally for a quarter of an hour at a time, and gradually increased activity. Exercise is good for sciatica, but it has to come gradually, as the pain barrier allows.

I am recovered now, but still get odd twinges sometimes.

Has anyone suffered from sciatica? I've had it now for over 8 months. Had physio and nothing is moving it. So fed up of the pain?

I had it really badly but acupuncture and regular chinese medical massage sorted it out. I used to go to a proper Chinese doctor who really could dig his fingers, thumbs and elbows into all the right places. It needs to be a proper work out, not a light rub.

It's not cheap but it definitely works.

I'm assuming your physio has outlined the benefits of keeping yourself healthy, ie normal weight, not smoking, exercising regularly, using correct posture. Massage can be beneficial, as can hot/cold packs, stretches, pilates, alexander technique. Ensure you neither sit, stand or lie in the same position for long periods and engage your core in every movement you make.

8 months is a long time to be suffering, it must feel like 8 years!! Hope you manage to get it under control.

I too have back trouble with sciatica down my left leg and a permanently dead left knee, an MRI scan revealed 3 prolapsed discs but left me 13 weeks before seeing me and because my back pain had eased could offer me no treatment, my knee is still dead and keeps collapsing under me but was told that there was less than 5% chance of improvement if operated on, this causes me untold mobility problems as the sciatica keeps coming and going but the knee is constantly dead.

I thought mine was stress related, in fact I am convinced of it. It the worst pain I have ever experienced, that and toothache, and I have had three children. I could barely walk for weeks, and it took me about a year to function comfortably again without limping.

I did some gentle gardening, as soon as the pain allowed to start off (literally for a quarter of an hour at a time, and gradually increased activity. Exercise is good for sciatica, but it has to come gradually, as the pain barrier allows.

I am recovered now, but still get odd twinges sometimes.

I had sciatica when I was pregnant with my youngest and it still rears it's ugly head occasionally.

Exercise helps enormously (if you can walk) and

Again, if you can do it, it does help.

• 1 month later...

Hi I practice acupuncture and Chinese medical massage (Tui na) at 1Space Affordable Acupuncture in town (look us up on google, SForum won't let me post the website address yet), and they are therapies that can really help with back pain and sciatica. They focus on increasing the circulation to the affected area, relaxing muscles and allowing proper blood flow.

Happy to answer questions! Andy

Chiropractic manipulation has always worked for me.

Sufferred from sciatica many years ago, and it's never come back since.

Sufferred a really bad lumbago more recently, and was all sorted after 5 or 6 sessions.

Archived