Sciatica advice sought

I have chronic sciatica secondary to degenerative disc disease and other spinal complications, and my recommendations are:

1 In the very short term rest plenty but keep moving to the best of your ability

2 See your GP

3 Learn and practice some simple stretching exercises several times a day

4 Find and see a good osteopath

5 In the longer term start learning how not to damage your back and get the pain

6 Take up yoga.

I don't know how severe your sciatica is and so I wouldn't want to give any advice but mine would come on at any time and as the pain went down my leg the leg would collapse from under me. I tried osteopathy and it worked for a while then it came back and it is expensive to keep going back. I haven't had it at all for a few years now and I put it down to taking up ice skating, or more accurately altering my posture. Sciatica being a trapped nerve I think I must have altered the way I carry my self while I was learning to ballance on skates, and have taken the pressure off of it. Like I say I'm not qualified to tell anyone what to do I'm only saying what worked for me. Good luck

Dave..

I'd ask your GP for an x-ray to be done of your lower spine. A good osteopath should do this before treatment as the sciatica could be caused by a prolapsed disc and manipulative treatment could make the situation worse.

The cause with many people is often just bad posture, especially if you're in a deskbound job.

im a beauty therapist who has been suffering from sciatica for quite a bit now it just comes and goes when it wants to, im just a bit confused why it comes on and then goes, last sunday i was walking to the shops i felt like a walk,i was perfectly fine then all a sudden my left leg became painful, it then nearly went from under me i had to drag my leg along with me while i shopped, 15 mins later it went i was fine, its baffling me , in the past ive had it when i just cant walk for a day, a lately its started to get worse again any advice please.

Mart, as Medusa indicates, stretching helps immensely. I have suffered from it chronically, but regular stretching exercises have worked. For example:-

a) Lie on your front. Take hold of one of your ankles and pull your leg up until the heel gets as close to (and preferably touches) your backside. Hold for 20 seconds. Three repetitions on each leg.

b) Lay on your back, lift a leg until vertical, hold both hands on the back of the knee and point your toes upwards. Hold for 20 seconds. Three repetitons on each leg.

c) Stand a face a wall which is about two ft away. Place palms against the wall, and lean against it with your back straight, feet a few inches apart and one of them about 18 inches closer to the wall than the other. Hold for 20 seconds. Three repetitions on each leg.

When the pain was at its worst, I did these up to five times a day.

Worked wonders.

Good luck!

I had good results from acupuncture. The pain I have from a disc lesion is often sciatic, but sometimes just back pain. I also use a tens machine. It does come back from time to time, there is no cure, just relief. Also as my left leg was affected I found that changing to an automatic car was necessary.

Archived