Sciatica advice sought

You have my sympathy.

What worked for me was osteo (although the relief from the pain was welcome but a little shortlived), advice from physios on posture generally and in bed, gentle stretching exercises before getting out of bed and lying on my back on the lounge floor for three weeks.

You have my sympathy!!! The pain is unbearable, I class it along side tri-geminal neuralgial Differrent part of the body but just as miserable. I have suffered both over the years, though not recently, thank goodness!

Rivelin6 has now been prescribed Diazepam and Co-codamel as the pain was just not being relieved by the previous drugs.

None of the drugs will address the root cause of why the sciatica is happening though- for that she needs some physio, a good osteopath or chiropracter and a whole load of exercises to do a dozen times a day to teach her muscles to change alignment (in a very small way) to relieve symptoms now and prevent it happening in future. Recovery can be much faster than you think if you have the right sort of help.

Trust me on this one, I've had sciatica to the extent of total numbness of most of my right leg for the last 17 years.

At the moment all she wants is the for the pain to be relieved so she can get up off the sofa. She has only had it once before and that was nearly 20 years ago. She recently strained her back at work and sat in a van for over 12 hours coming back from France so that seems likely to have triggered it this time.

Both Godzilla and Mr Godzilla have had success in the past with acupuncture so it may be that my loving birthday present to her will be a course of needles.

The pain shows no sign of abating despite 3 different doctors prescribing 4 different lots of painkillers. The co-codamol where a nightmare and have just made her violently sick. Apparently she can't be referred to the hospital by anyone other than her own GP practice and they don't seem keen on that, preferring to throw drugs at her with no view to getting at the root problem.

I have now taken Medusa's suggestion and contacted the Lodge House. I've asked about a home visit because she is practically bedridden at the moment.

I can see why people overdose on painkillers - if the prescribed dose doesn't work the temptation is to swallow the whole blooming bottle just for a bit of relief.

The pain shows no sign of abating despite 3 different doctors prescribing 4 different lots of painkillers. The co-codamol where a nightmare and have just made her violently sick. Apparently she can't be referred to the hospital by anyone other than her own GP practice and they don't seem keen on that, preferring to throw drugs at her with no view to getting at the root problem.

I have now taken Medusa's suggestion and contacted the Lodge House. I've asked about a home visit because she is practically bedridden at the moment.

I can see why people overdose on painkillers - if the prescribed dose doesn't work the temptation is to swallow the whole blooming bottle just for a bit of relief.

have you tried a T.E.N.S machine? there easily available at chemists, affordable & very effective

If you need transport by 'dogmobile' give me a ring.

Archived