Old buildings darnall sheffield

Douglasvol

Dunkirk Square is where Lidl is now. Morrisons was origonally built on the site so I understand, I think there are pictures of Dunkirk square on picture Sheffield but I might be wrong. Otherwise there are some in the Darnall camera book.

Sue

Dunkirk Square is where Lidl is now. Morrisons was origonally built on the site so I understand, I think there are pictures of Dunkirk square on picture Sheffield but I might be wrong. Otherwise there are some in the Darnall camera book.

Sue

lidl are actually in the same building that Morrisons were in, as I understand it.

In Aspects of Sheffield 1 (ed. Mervyn Jones) there is an article by Sue Turton called A changing landscape: Darnall in the nineteenth century. This has about 4 pages concentrating on Dunkirk Square, including a photo (c1900/10) and a map (1893). Although the author concentrates on the earlier history of the square, she does say that the buildings "survived into the 1940's".

Hugh

Archived