Reginald St/Rd . Where was it ?

clocker

Hello. In a 1968 Kelly's directory it says; Reginald Street went from 101 Pitsmoor Road To Fowler Street and no family names are listed. In an up to date A to Z, Fowler Street is no longer there.

Thanks cat631

That is a definite help , appreciated .

Bit early,but no names listed for court houses,

REGINALD STREET

-----(101 PITSMOOR ROAD)----

COURTS 1,3,6

----CROSS MACRO STREET----

23 SURGERY------GROCERS SHOP

COURTS 7,9,11

COURTS 13,15,17,19

------FOWLER STREET-------

--------------------

2 HINDLEY

4 COUPLAND

6 SILCOCK

8 STANLAND

12 WHITE

12 WHITE

14 THOMPSON

16 GODFREY

18 SAYLES

20 ROBERT

24 WALL

26 CRAGG

28 PICKFORD

COURTS 2,4,6,8,10,12,14.

72 HALES

----------FOWLER STREET---------------

Dont know of any Kelly's directory details, but I remember Reginald Street well enough. It ran down from the bottom of Pitsmoor Road (Bank) to the bottom of Fowler Street, more or less parallel with Macro Street. Roughly the first third of it was a steep hill, then it levelled off a bit. At the top end on the right hand side was a bombed site, levelled off and covered with the usual ashes. The other side was intact, in fact the whole street was, right down to Fowler.

At the bottom of the steep bit, at the corner of a little street to the right, lived a family name of Brookfield, I went to school with Alan, the son.

Another family, just down the street, name of Watts, sons name Roger.

Family name of Lines,(possibly Lyons),sons name Roy. Other names down there were Egglestone, Green, Angus. All good old boys.

It was a dark and doomy street, like all of 'em around that way. But it wasn't the worst.

Hi Texas,

I remember all those names, and I think there was a family called Shipway who lived there as well.My mother was born in a house on Macro Street, in a Court, which also had an entry/exit on Reginald Street. Used to sledge down the top bit in wintertime.

regards Capricorn.

Entry in 1954 Kellys again has no names listed for the people living in the courts and only listing actually on Reginald St is for a grocer at number 23 - Mrs Dorothy Osborne.

Forgive me , I've become too Canadianized .....what are courts , Townhouses ????

Roy

Hi capricorn11, I remember Alan Shipway and his sister Brenda, we were in the same class at Pyebank, Miss Glass's class (a lot of sibilants there).

Very quiet kids if I remember right. Alan was very protective of his sister or seemed to be. She was a nice looking girl.

Archived