What is your fave seaside place in British Isles?

Hopefully my fave resort will be Whitby as I've booked a holiday cottage there over Christmas for a week with my better half. Any suggestions as what to do (apart from the obvious) would be appreciated... never been there before

Hopefully my fave resort will be Whitby as I've booked a holiday cottage there over Christmas for a week with my better half. Any suggestions as what to do (apart from the obvious) would be appreciated... never been there before

Whitby is top, as something to do take a drive northwards up the coast road towards Saltburn (another lovely Victorian seaside town) and beyond.

Bamburgh and Holy Isle in Northumberland are lovely.

I also love the stretch of beach from Redcar to S. Gare, fantastic for a Boxing day walk.

People fail to mention pembrokeshire, it has the most stunning coastline in the uk and is not overcrowded:)

I have heard great things about Pembrokeshire but bizarrely I've never been.

Whitby is wonderful. We went there at the start of November and it was bliss. Nice cafes, nice restaurants, nice scenery, nice views, nice cottage and one or two decent pubs, plus lovely walks along the coast.

My all time fave place though is Durness on the NW tip of mainland Scotland - so bleak and windswept but wonderful and atmospheric. Heaven.

I believe that choice here is infuenced by sentiment i.e. my brother and I ( Sharrovian ) have some very powerful memories of holidays with Mom and dad at Bridlington.

Coastal resorts have change dramatically over the past 50 years, they have had to do of course in the face of competition from foreign package holidays. The gradual introduction of various fast foods and the increase of a couldn't care attitude within society has led to some horrendous amounts of litter in most seaside resorts. The majority of newspaper wrapping containing Fish and Chips used to be placed in a bin. The combination at Bridlington of the harbour, the north and south beaches, the long flat promenades and the amusement arcades, plus the close attractions of Sewerby, Bempton, Thornwick and Flamborough and of course its close proximity to Sheffield in the family car, make it the location in my opinion.

Memories of a 3 hour SUT coach ride and a stop for a cuppa on the way.

People fail to mention pembrokeshire, it has the most stunning coastline in the uk and is not overcrowded:)

I remember going to Lydstep there when I was a nipper...after only going to Brid and Skeggy for holidays before i think it was the first place I swam where you could actually see the bottom,I remember having a snorkel and goggles and seeing fish in the water...

I love St Ives but it gets so busy so Bamburgh beach in Northumberland is wonderful to get away from it all :)

Bamburgh is a great choice Lorri. There's also something about Barmouth in north Wales that I like, and Three Cliffs on the Gower Peninsula is also lovely.

Archived