What is your fave seaside place in British Isles?

Hopefully my fave resort will be Whitby as I've booked a holiday cottage there over Christmas for a week with my better half. Any suggestions as what to do (apart from the obvious) would be appreciated... never been there before

Drive north from there for about 12 miles until you find your way to Skinningrove beach, which is just the most fabulous dog walking beach with some solitude (which is why we're going back there over new year).

I much prefer the quaint olde-worldeness of Saltburn to Whitby, but I suppose we'll visit Whitby while we're there too.

I'd agree that bit of the East Coast is fantastic, had a weekend in Saltburn earlier this year, I also like Staithes, Sandsend and my top fave is Runswick Bay, why northern folks bother with Cornwall I'll never know!

I'll counter-agree with this. Driving to Cornwall is madness when you have the East coast but an hour and a half away.

There are some rather downtrodden little places (skinningrove, Liverton Mines) which are the sad products of the decline of industry in the area but:

Staithes is picture perfect and also the birthplace of Cpt. Cook.

Runswick Bay and also Robin Hoods Bay are both beautiful at any time of year, especially on a crisp, winter day followed by a walk along the beach (frolicking dogs optional)

Born and bred in Coatham, Redcar, I feel an affinity with the E. Coast from S. Gare to Filey...

I would advise anyone with a wish for bracing sea air to visit... This Weekend!

I've been promised a weekend in Saltburn as a birthday present..... but my birthday was in September :suspect:

You will love it: Next September.

The Valley Gardens, The Pier, The funicular railway, Alessi's Italian Restaurant...

Archived