Martial Arts - the best one for a new years resolution

• 2 weeks later...

Mini Cooper,

I think you client should learn either Tai Chi or Wing Chun. Read the thread about Tai Chi which is now at the top of this forum for information. I would recommend Sifu William Lai's Wing Chun class at the Sheffield Chinese Community Centre. I understand that he has a class on Saturday at 6pm to 7.30pm. Please visit his site http://www.wingchun.me.uk for details.

Sleepingcat

hmmm, wing chun guys haven't had much success in MMA events - is that because the ethos isn't really geared towards MMA; some of the moves would be illegal; or it's simply not effective when compared to other martial arts? or any other reason? i've heard of a guy from the midlands who does wing chun and is/was a bodyguard, and another guy who mixes it with bjj, but boxing or some form of kick/thai boxing seems to be the preferred art for striking these days - any thoughts?

yeah, for mma it would be boxing/thai/kickboxing, wrestling or judo + bjj...maybe somewhat different for self-defence - depends what you're looking for, but i'm not sure where wing chun would fit in (no offence!). maybe for ther 'art' or something a little less energetic.

i once saw a dvd with a wing chun guy stood on one leg while someone attempted to push him over - very impressive, but the guy pushing was static - not running across an octagon or a street...i'm sure there must be more to wing chun than maintaining some kind of base, but it's not really proved itself in the modern arena unless anyone knows differently?

Archived