Martial Arts - the best one for a new years resolution

I often read through these posts, and they do seem to be dangerously close to yet another flame war. I have dabbled in Wing Chun for a little while now, and I would not be confident in a fight i don't think. However, I would say this was more to do with my own motivation and training (once a week in a class ain't enough!). However, I opriginally stsrted a long time ago with the UKWCKFA which is run by James Sinclair. If you goto http://www.ukwingchun.com there are some great streaming videos there to have a look at. They always seemed to keep things practical as much as possible and regularily have guest instructors from other martial arts. If only there was a full time school in Sheffield :(

Although, I have just checked that site again and they have some new videos for their 21st anniversary and the demonstrations there look like they are arranged/scripted scenes. However, some of the clips that are below those show some 'real' footage.

Mini Cooper,

I think you client should learn either Tai Chi or Wing Chun. Read the thread about Tai Chi which is now at the top of this forum for information. I would recommend Sifu William Lai's Wing Chun class at the Sheffield Chinese Community Centre. I understand that he has a class on Saturday at 6pm to 7.30pm. Please visit his site http://www.wingchun.me.uk for details.

Sleepingcat

yeah personally i'd recommend tai chi as taught by Sifu David Barrow, details in other tai chi threads here, but if ur gonna go for wing chun, which wud be a good second choice, Sifu Lai is excellent, top class wing chun, i've been to his class years ago

Well, if you fancy Shodokan Aikido, then we have train in the centre of town, just up from the Devonshire Cat pub. Check out the websites in the signature...

polar bears in cities may be interesting, what with thier habitat melting away, they could chomp through a fair few meals. I guess you would need to always keep a slow runner at close hand to keep between you and the bear...

• 5 weeks later...
... Martial Arts, but which one?

I've got a better idea. Found your own club. Develop a new style and name it after yourself. And charge crazy prices.

Starting a new martial arts club is just like starting a new religion. You'll get rich, your followers will willingly battle your enemies followers. And you get the added benefit of keeping fit.

go on yell.com and search martial arts in sheffield and loads of clubs come up, you can also see what club is closest to you. Although, just because the club is close to you doesn't make it a good one.

Likewise, just because a club is listed on yell.com does not guarantee it is a good one.

A hell of a lot of McDojos advertise on yell.com.

McDojos are clubs that charge extortionate amounts for poor quality tuition and give out Belts like samosas at an Eid party :hihi:

Archived