Bertram Smilter Hughes

apritchard

Hi, first time poster here. . .so please be gentle!! My fathers mothers great grandfather was called Bertram Smilter Hughes. Smilter Lane (now Herries Road) was actually named after him. I believe him to have been a wealthy man as the family had servants and travelled via horse drawn carriage. I'm trying to acquire any information about him but have not been able as yet (I will have a really good go at this after christmas) to find anything related to him. There may have been something of note happened when the land was acquired to build the cottages/ workhouse in the late 19th century but nothing evidential to support yet. If anyone has anything I would be profoundly grateful. Kind Regards, Andy.

Hi, first time poster here. . .so please be gentle!! My fathers mothers great grandfather was called Bertram Smilter Hughes. Smilter Lane (now Herries Road) was actually named after him. I believe him to have been a wealthy man as the family had servants and travelled via horse drawn carriage. I'm trying to acquire any information about him but have not been able as yet (I will have a really good go at this after christmas) to find anything related to him. There may have been something of note happened when the land was acquired to build the cottages/ workhouse in the late 19th century but nothing evidential to support yet. If anyone has anything I would be profoundly grateful. Kind Regards, Andy.

Do you have a brother called Joe ?

Why would a road be named after his middle name ? Couldn't they have called it 'Hughes Road'?!

Some SMILTER references in the Sheffield Local Register (a digest of local news stories):

12 Feb 1818

Decease of Mr Philip Smilter, aged 93, of Goddard Hall.

16 Feb 1843

Decease of James Smilter, aged 59, town crier 20 years.

16 Sep 1852

Decease at Richmond of Mr W Townend Smilter, aged 53.

28 Feb 1875 Resignation of Mr WL Smilter, high bailiff of the Sheffield County Court, an office held by him since 1847. Mr Bedford appointed his successor.

Note: on the 1891 OS map, Goddard Hall is shown right next to Smilter Lane. You can see the relevant part of this map on the workhouses website.

Hugh

Thanks for that Hugh. In answer. . .God Knows!! What I have gleened is that the building that is currently used as the nurses accomadation on the Northern General site is the house that this Bertram Smilter Hughes's parents lived in and Smilter Lane was definitely named after him. There is a link to the Hargate family somewhere in here. . .Hargate was the maiden name of BSH's mother. There is possibly some sort of alleged 'dodgy dealing' bubbling under the surface too. There's also Abbeyfield House embedded within BSH's history. Not sure if he owned it or his parents. A bit patchy to say the least but when I get the chance to delve I will. I may have ancestral aristocracy!!!

I didn't notice before that there is a photo of Goddard Hall on the page I cited above.

The only Bertram Smilter HUGHES I can find in BMD records was born in 1892 in Sheffield, son of James and Sarah Emily (nee Smilter).

Some things I can't get straight in my head :huh: ...

Joe Roberts was born in the 20th century, so it's likely Kathleen (sp?), Bertram's daughter, was also born in the 20th century. And yet Bertram is five generation back from you! (My fathers mothers great grandfather). People do sometimes marry young but that's a lot of generations to fit in!

Do you know when Bertram was born, who he married? Did he have other children? What were his parents' names?

Just trying to get a grip :)

Hugh

Archived