I've lost my car keys please help!

• 16 years later...
On 26/12/2006 at 06:25, never wrong said:

just a thought it may be cheaper in the long run to have two sets made and then the problem wont happen again in the future especially if the insurance pay out for the claim

👍

Best answer!

In business, it's called contingency planning, or Plan B.

You have to look around you and imagine what you would have to go thru if you lost your keys, wallet, phone, etc.

Every time I get a new key it goes on a spare key ring, lodged safely at the office, or with a relative or friend. My phone and and emails and computer files, are backed up to the Cloud, or on a spare hard drive. Expensive, maybe but over time well worthwhile, if you lose them at a critical time, not of your choosing.

People drive by a gas station on a nice day near empty, then when they really need gas, it may be raining, rush hour, a load of groceries to get home, and dying for a toilet :)

Learned the hard way.

General personal observation follows:

Government institutions are far too often in trouble with ransomware, lack of backups of communications, and intentional malfeasance, see IRS Director Lois Lerner, FBI phone files, and of course, the 33,000 or so State Department emails that got deleted with no backups.

A business I'm still associated with  is a major Third Party Insurance Administrator. Legal cases can arise years later, and so to be licensed, you must provide to the Major Insurance Carriers a "Catastrophic Destruction Recovery Plan" in case of fire, flood, computer failure, to safeguard legal claimant's records, and have them back up and running normally within 48 hours. No excuses, If you don't you can't get hired.

We have every communication, email ever written on a computer in duplicate,, or in storage, as a cost of doing business.

Government agencies don't seem to like that degree of accountability. No wiggle room!  :)

Edited by trastrick

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

👍

Best answer!

In business, it's called contingency planning, or Plan B.

You have to look around you and imagine what you would have to go thru if you lost your keys, wallet, phone, etc.

Every time I get a new key it goes on a spare key ring, lodged safely at the office, or with a relative or friend. My phone and and emails and computer files, are backed up to the Cloud, or on a spare hard drive. Expensive, maybe but over time well worthwhile, if you lose them at a critical time, not of your choosing.

People drive by a gas station on a nice day near empty, then when they really need gas, it may be raining, rush hour, a load of groceries to get home, and dying for a toilet :)

Learned the hard way.

General personal observation follows:

Government institutions are far too often in trouble with ransomware, lack of backups of communications, and intentional malfeasance, see IRS Director Lois Lerner, FBI phone files, and of course, the 33,000 or so State Department emails that got deleted with no backups.

A business I'm still associated with  is a major Third Party Insurance Administrator. Legal cases can arise years later, and so to be licensed, you must provide to the Major Insurance Carriers a "Catastrophic Destruction Recovery Plan" in case of fire, flood, computer failure, to safeguard legal claimant's records, and have them back up and running normally within 48 hours. No excuses, If you don't you can't get hired.

We have every communication, email ever written on a computer in duplicate,, or in storage, as a cost of doing business.

Government agencies don't seem to like that degree of accountability. No wiggle room!  :)

You know this thread is 16 years old.

• Like 1