Any Housley Or Houseleys Out There?

(Looking closer, Elizabeth Moseley is the daughter - servant is her occupation, not her relationship to head of household, so the surname's a mis-transcription, should be Housley, as confirmed for this household in the 1851 census).

Now trying to find Charlotte's maiden name. ..

You would need the marriage details to find who Christophers parents are.

(Archives or mormon church should have them)

Marriages Jun 1841

Housley Charlotte Rotherham 22 342

Housley Christopher Rotherham 22 342

1841 Census it looks like they are possibly with Jarvice Housley's sister Elizabeth Ward nee Housley at Grenoside

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Retep,

Got the marriage cert for Chistopher and Charlotte Housely, June 3rd 1841, parish church, Rotherham. His father's name is not given, but her maiden name is Housely and her father is Jarvis Housely. So the 1851 census which shows the "Jervis" in the house as father, is her father not his. For your records, their ages aren't shown on the cert, it just seems to say "full age". His profession is Filesmith, and the residence for both at the time of marriage is Wellgate.

Hi Retep,

Got the marriage cert for Chistopher and Charlotte Housely, June 3rd 1841, parish church, Rotherham. His father's name is not given, but her maiden name is Housely and her father is Jarvis Housely. So the 1851 census which shows the "Jervis" in the house as father, is her father not his. For your records, their ages aren't shown on the cert, it just seems to say "full age". His profession is Filesmith, and the residence for both at the time of marriage is Wellgate.

Charlotte is christened at Ecclesfield 1819 to Jervice Houseley and Ann Barker.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Retep

Thanks for your help

Christopher and Charlotte where married just three days before the 1841 census takers came round, but they were both Housleys prior to tying the knot.

I'd love to discover at least one of the parents of Christopher Housley, Charlotte's husband... I can't find his birth anywhere, and no father is mentioned on the marriage certificate. It's clear (I think) that the Jervis Housely given as "father" in the 1851 census is actually her father, not his.

Got any ideas?

Steve

Hi Retep

Thanks for your help

Christopher and Charlotte where married just three days before the 1841 census takers came round, but they were both Housleys prior to tying the knot.

I'd love to discover at least one of the parents of Christopher Housley, Charlotte's husband... I can't find his birth anywhere, and no father is mentioned on the marriage certificate. It's clear (I think) that the Jervis Housely given as "father" in the 1851 census is actually her father, not his.

Got any ideas?

Steve

Looks like you may have to search the parish records, I don't have his birth,

the 1861 has him born Sheffield but 1851 says Ecclesfield

notes;

found on 1851 Grenoside

Christopher 30-file cutter

Charlotte 30-file cutters wife

Henry 9

Elizabeth 7

Christopher 5

Joseph 1

Jarvis age 78 listed as father -retired woodman

all born Ecclesfield

3457-77

Christopher HOUSLEY 41 head YKS Sheffield

Henry HOUSLEY 19 son YKS Ecclesfield

Elizabeth MOSELEY 17 daughter Ecclesfield ---should be Housley?

Christopher HOUSLEY 14 son Ecclesfield

Joseph HOUSLEY 12 son Ecclesfield

Jacob HOUSLEY 10 son Ecclesfield

Nancy HOUSLEY 6 daughter Ecclesfield

• 7 months later...

I'm searching for Leonard Housley. May have been married to Evangeline..... Don't know maiden name. Or married to a 'Rita Stevens'.

I do know that in 1947 he lived at 19 Powell Street and had at least 1 daughter Sylvia. His profession is down as 'Welder and (*accfy*can't read the writing;) line burner whatever that was.

I'm searching for Leonard Housley. May have been married to Evangeline..... Don't know maiden name. Or married to a 'Rita Stevens'.

I do know that in 1947 he lived at 19 Powell Street and had at least 1 daughter Sylvia. His profession is down as 'Welder and (*accfy*can't read the writing;) line burner whatever that was.

Do you have an age for Sylvia, the profession will be acetylene burner.