Any Housley Or Houseleys Out There?

Hi VMAX

I'm the Herbert Housley who wrote "Grinders & Buffers" and "Back To The Grindstone", I'm intrigued to know who your great gran was. My dad, also Herbert Housley, had four sisters but only two of them Ada and Lily had any children, which of those was your great gran? His other two sisters were Dolly & Hetty, his brothers were John, Joe and Charles who died in WW1, my own brother Charles, named after dad's brother, died as a Japanese POW on the notorious Burma railway. I've visited his grave.

On June 4th 2008, my wife and I became great grandparents for the first time, I'll be 83 next September and we celebrate our diamond wedding (60 years) next month.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi im Philip one of the sons (youngest) on my mums user name MRS..H.The family home was Tipton Street the works address was Chippingham Street & still is today.Thank you.

Do you have any grand parent names to get you back to the 1901 census.

• 2 months later...
I have a mystery - Elizabeth Housley born 1830 married William Shirtcliffe but she had two children Emily and Charles before the marriage date. Now when Emily married she married using Emily Housley and used the name of George Housley who was actually her grandfather - have you come across this branch in your research!

Emily Naylor Housley 1853

I have Elizabeth marrying William as her first husband with son Charles Shirtcliffe born 1849.

Then marrying John Foster born 1849, (At the time of their marriage 27 Dec 1869 in St Georges Church, Sheffield. Elizabeth's son Charles was the same age as his stepfather) on their wedding certificate, Elizabeth said she was 32 and John said he was 27 so that the aged gap of 19 years was not noticeable!

Elizabeth and John had a daughter Florence Foster born 1871 in Sheffield... buried 1935 City Road Cemetary, Sheffield, South Yorkshire (No 23462 Section II)

Florence had a son Charles Alfred Foster b: 29 Jul 1895 in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.. father unknown. Charles married Beatrice Ida Whomersley and had 11 children.

Elizabeth 1830 was the daughter of George Housley and Harriot Kirkby, Sister to Barnet.

Have found death for Elizabeth Foster nee Housley b:1830

General Cemetery

Burial Record

burial no: 21606

grave no: C2 73

death date: 31 May 1897

burial date: 02 Jun 1897

name: Elizabeth Foster

sex:

cause of death:

description: Wife of John Foster, Furnaceman

birthplace:

residence: 94 Nicholson Road

parents:

informant:

minister: J. E. Jump

burial type: consecrated

Also found a brickwall on Sheffield records online about Emily Naylor Housley in 2006... http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=bwall;action=display;num=1152195223;start=8#8

I used to go to Owler Lane Intermediate school, then later Hinde House school with a Chris Housley in 1960-64. He used to live above a shop on City Road I think. If anyone knows what he's doing these days, it would be great to hear from you.

Have found death for Elizabeth Foster nee Housley b:1830

General Cemetery

Burial Record

burial no: 21606

grave no: C2 73

death date: 31 May 1897

burial date: 02 Jun 1897

name: Elizabeth Foster

sex:

cause of death:

description: Wife of John Foster, Furnaceman

birthplace:

residence: 94 Nicholson Road

parents:

informant:

minister: J. E. Jump

burial type: consecrated

Also found a brickwall on Sheffield records online about Emily Naylor Housley in 2006... http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=bwall;action=display;num=1152195223;start=8#8

C2 73 is a Housley family grave as is C2 72, no stone.