What exercises can I do to do the splits?

I have always wanted to do the splits and I never could be bothered to try and do them never mind learn.

Now Christmas is out of the way and New Year is approaching my New Year resolution is to start keeping fit, but I want to know what exercises I can do to help me achieve my goal.....to do the splits!

Help, thanks

I know some people who've been successful through martial arts related training. Things like kung fu and taekwondo seem to encourage it, and I've also had something called the 'flexible steel method' recommended, but don't know what it is.

My flexibility used to be good but has gone downhill lately (especially hamstrings, for some reason), think it's related to me doing more strength training and putting a bit of muscle mass on... I might work on it a bit too.

I was lucky in that I have always been supple but it took 18 months of hard 3 to 4 nights a week training in taekwondo before I got there.

My best was past the splits by having a foot on each of two chairs and a lad kicking one away slowly.

Not trained in 15 years but I'm still not too far off. When warmed up I can get down to a few inches off the floor on the front splits and a little higher on the side splits.

Hi,

To do the splits, train to do the splits...it is as simple as that. If that's your goal, keep trying to do it...boxing, tae kwon do, yoga etc are all superfluous if you want to do the splits...just do it.

In and of itself, this ability is pretty pointless, but if it's what you want to do, then good for you.

Exercise specificity is the key......

Ade

Archived