Sheffield Stray Dogs - Nowhere to go - does anybody care?

Rainrescue

America has a database - and it also links into one that is lost dogs - over here if a dog is lost - you just have 7 days to get it before its destroyed. If that dog runs out of the county - which is easy to do in some parts - you could have a number of dog pounds to keep driving round. Most aren't worth phoning up because they are so busy - they don't know your dog.

So yes - promoting the sites is good.

However, Dog Pages is very clicky and will only allow certain rescue groups to post on there - for some reason Rain Rescue isn't allowed. Probably because I go against the 'norm' I don't know.

Strix - good idea re fostering - it is the ideal - however, there are so many problem incurred - i very rarely use fosterers. Mostly you can't get hold of good ones - ie people that can cope with the disturbance of the dog - The the host family has to put up with people coming to see the dog which can take hours of time up , often ending without rehoming the dog - and 1 group i was with got really strung up with vet bills the fosterer's were racking up - it sent them under. Also, people would just phone up after just having 1 problem and demand we went and fetched the dog back cos it had done something wrong - regardless of the time of day or night, even if you was just going to work, bed, out. Then the dogs have to be insured to be in foster homes, and that policy is £650 - I know my group couldnt afford that.

So, whilst its definately great for the dog - there are lots of problems incurred.

I had a dog go out on foster to a man who seemed ideal for it - I had driven it to him at night, sat there for over an hour to make sure all seemed ok - took him everything he may need for it - 'fine no problem love, he will be ok', he phoned me at 7.30 next morning to say the dog hadn't settled and he was bringing it me back that morning he couldnt cope -

I could tell you loads - which has left me scared to rely on them unless i have been dealing with a family for a while (ie coming and walking regularly). So, I can assure you - people do offer to foster not expecting any problems. Those that don't are few and far between.

Re the vets bills - personally we as a group hardly have any money - and we are always scared of large vet bills coming in. So many vets will do 'nice to have examinations' whereas we have to fun the life or death stuff and the in pain or not. At least if its with me - i know when i would need to call a vet. If it was with someone else - i woul want them to call the vet if they were unsure - just cos i couldn't see it for myself - and the money just isn't there.

Thats why we asked if the PDSA would at least treat rescue animals at cost - but obviously they turned us down - even tho their charity mission statement does state that they 'help animals - 'it doesn't just say help animals of poor people.

• 1 year later...

I came across this old thread tonight whilst looking for something else and thought it would be good to re-raise it because there were lots of people that had commented and many were really interested about the terrible state and volume of stray dogs and cats of our city.

We are coming up to that horrible cold and wet time of year again. The council stray kennels are BURSTING AT THE SEAMS with dumped dogs.

Please - if you know of anyone who is looking to adopt a dog - or wants to help a dog - ask them to check out what is desperate for a home at the kennels. They are still held at the old RSPCA buildings off Spring Street - details on our web site below.

take a look around sheffield at all the waifs and strays living on the streets,yes its about time somebody did something about them,having to roam the streets in minus degree weather and not getting fed properly.Thats right get the homeless people sorted out and put some money into their well being then we can get our heads round sorting the animal problem.Its whats called priorities!!!

And while there at it, sort them poor dogs out that they all seem to have laid out by their side..

thankfully the Sally Army now allow dogs with their humans, since it became apparent that there ARE people who will refuse to be bullied into being separated from their dogs by a faceless, uncaring system - so good on them :thumbsup:

In more recent months (than when this thread started), it has become screamingly obvious how much of the 'dog dumping' is the result of blanket 'no pets' policies at housing agencies

I've spoken to landlords who are happy for tenants to have pets, but the agency they've signed up to has a blanket no pets policy, so the numbers of rental properties which were available to pet families are significantly less than they otherwise would be

We're getting to a point where the only way to keep a dog is going to be in slavery (well okay, as a working animal). If you're not blind or otherwise incapacitated, you're going to have to be a puppy walker for a potential assistance dog

It's driving me nuts

So many people find themselves in dire straights, losing their home (and possibly family too), but some bureaucrat then decrees they have to abandon their best friend too? There should be laws against such ignorance, which would alleviate at least some of the recent problems with the number of abandoned animals!

We are coming up to that horrible cold and wet time of year again. The council stray kennels are BURSTING AT THE SEAMS with dumped dogs.

Please - if you know of anyone who is looking to adopt a dog - or wants to help a dog - ask them to check out what is desperate for a home at the kennels. They are still held at the old RSPCA buildings off Spring Street - details on our web site below.

I've just acquired my new best friend from the Sheffield RSPCA at Spring Street, and it's just heartbreaking to go down there; I could have adopted several of them! Folks might have the impression that the dogs are all cosy and warm, that it's like a dogs' hotel, but it's just not so - they simply don't have the resources.

The dogs are in individual cages, with a little bit of shelter, but they're basically outdoors and exposed to the elements. They're living on cold, wet concrete, with all the horrible wind and rain we've been having lately, and just a plastic bed under a bit of shelter. They're surrounded by other dogs, all making a huge racket because they're so distressed. They're cared for by very kind people while they're there, but they really need a warm home with someone who'll give them the love and care they crave.

The dog I have rehomed was found wandering as a stray, with no ID or means of getting him home, and nobody appears to be looking for him, and he's only 4 months old! (He's now snoozing quite happily on a bed under my desk here in the office). Others have simply been dumped at the door by owners who didn't even have the bottle to ring the bell and explain that they couldn't take care of the dog.

If you're wanting to get a dog, please take pity on one of the sad inmates at the pound. There were really some fantastic dogs there when I visited, including a tiny puppy, so you're not necessarily going to get an ancient mutt with only three legs and set of behavioural problems! Next time you close the curtains at home and sit on your comfy chair by the fire, remember the poor pooches out in their cages at the pound!

Thanks Clockender for that - to put a more human view on what is down there.

I know that the dogs do go indoors at nights - but are exposed to the elements during the day - at least so they get a change of scenerery and fresh air.

Its a pity that we couldn't get them a high raised roof over the kennels because they will be there for some time using the old RSPCA building. Just so everyone knows - these dogs are in the hands of the council and not the RSPCA.

Please think of them in their time of need.

Can you take the dog home straight away and wait for the home check, like the RSPCA use to do or do you have to wait for the home check first before you can take your chosen pooch. Just wondered as im thinking of making an appointment.

My millie desperately needs a pal and i would love to have another dog, but would rather

have one from a place like this as it helps a poor little soul whose had no life, to realise that not everyone is cruel and a good warm home is just around the corner.

The kennels don't do home checks - and are totally different to the RSPCA. However, they do try to match up the right dog with the right home, and hope that the people coming act responsibly. You do well to think about helping them if you possibly can - there are some lovely ones in there.

ADZ has just been in and taken some new pictures and write ups for us to go on our site - there really are some nice ones. I would look to get a placid male to pair up with your girl. We also have a lovely one in called Reggie in our rescue - already castrated - was terribly underweight and now putting weight on well. A friendly happy boy. Once he has a home, Rainrescue can take another one out of the pound.

pics on our site

Archived