Info on Russian Edna please

VillageElder

I'm fairly certain that's just an urban myth, based around the Darnall connection. I can tell you on the night in of her killing she was picked up in the "Sportsman" on Cambridge Street. A taxi took them to Darnall where then went into High Hazel's Park. She was suffocated and died by the bandstand.[/QU

so how was you relative conected

Thanks for all the info on Russian Edna. My only connection with this subject

was.....When the Lyceum was being refurbished, there was a Sheffield bus, decorated with pictures of the new Lyceum. Anyone who had helped with the

raising of funds, or in any other way of support for the refurbishment, was invited to travel around Sheffield, on the bus, on the occasion of its launch.

not many people turned up because it was a weekday morning. I traveled at the front of the upper deck, and had a very pleasant hour talking to Kieth Barron.(this is longer than our cats tail) anyway or any road up as they say, as we passed St., Georges church, Kieth asked me if I had known a prostitute called Russian Edna, I nealy fell of my seat, but he went on to say, he used to be at the old playhouse, just down the road, and she was murdered in St., Georges churchyard. (I get there in the end )at that time,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
his name was george pullen, he was from hall road, handsworth, he was released about 1963 the last i heard of him he was working as a chef at the fiesta

VillageElder returns as drinkingman!

His name was George Pullan and did indeed come from Hall Road, Handsworth. He died in Scarborough in 1992. I'm interested in any imfomation anyone may have on him or Edna. Edna's real name was Melanie Birch, she came to England after marrying an army sergeant. George Pullan was a relative of mine. Edna was killed in 1954, by the bandstand in High Hazels Park.

Mt mother was brought up near to George Pullen and knew him and the family well. She says that George met up with Edna and agreed to pay her 10 shillings for sex they went to High Hazels park. After he had had sex George was not happy and asked for his 10 bob back she refused and they started fighting. George said that she was wearing a long cardigan and she had put the money up her sleeve, he went after the cash and in doing so strangled her. I think he was done for manslaughter not murder.

Years later I met George when he worked as a chef in the Fiesta. He seemed a simple sould but not at all dangerous.

Archived