Who remembers the heartbeat nightspot

steve1953

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go there too, might still have got my membership card somewhere too .... it's like climbing the north face of the Eiger these days to get to the Stars suite, but at the time we just used to dance up all those stairs :D

We'd get a bottle of 'Barsac' evil tasting vinegar wine that was served with a napkin wrapped round it in a wicker pouring basket ... OMG, wasn't that the height of sophistication and glamour in 1965 :hihi:

I have a feeling that Paul Westlake (later of Turn-ups) might have been the DJ at the time ...

Yes, I used to frequent the Heartbeat several nights every single week between 65 and 68 (when I got married!) :hihi:

I also remember Mighty Atom playing great music - but then most music is great from the 60's anyway :D .

One of my most memorable nights from that time was when my (part time) fella decided to get me drunk!!! He bought me a brandy and babycham followed by a vodka martini - two drinks (well, four really) but it didn't get me so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing. Gave him the elbow after that night!!! Mind you, I had just met the guy who was to become (and still is :D ) my husband so it worked out great in the end.

Once married, went a few more times, but started going to Cavendish night club, then Fiesta night club when we both worked at the Top Rank.

Happy days :D

Archived