How's the Octagon for live shows?

I've seen very few bands pull it off in the Octagon due to it's barn like shape & atmosphere - and that includes The Pixies and Niravna who were both decidely average many moons ago.

If I remember correctly - it was originally desgned for a 2200 capacity - but for a variety of reasons has a 1500 capacity - so there is always lots of space round the edges - but as the City Hall is shutting donw for a refit - looks like there will be even more gigs at the Octagon this year.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to see oasis there ten years ago this december and it was the most amazing thing ever, yes its cramped and a little bit like a school hall but its great if you want to get up close and personnal to some fab bands, i think it all depends on who is on stage. xx

• 2 months later...

seen many a band at the octagon and have always thought that it was a great place from rock to dance

best bands have been for me leftfield orbital and underworld

club nights up there are ok but it has to be busy FROUK On a friday used to be excellent

I've seen a number of great bands at the Octagon over the years, including the Manics, Suede and Blur, so I do have fond, happy memories of the place.

But it's not the best venue for a gig, not a patch on the Leadmill. It's just too cavernous and lacking in atmosphere - like somebody said, it feels like a school gym.

Then again though, for some reason, there does seem to be a feeling of close connection to the band - I can't quite explain that? As a member of the audience, I found bands seemed somehow to be physically closer and more 'real' at the Octagon than elsewhere???

And my sister did manage to get down to the front and have a quick chat with James Dean Bradfield at one Manics gig, so it can't be bad really!

StarSparkle

Archived