Remember baileys nightclub?

suzan

i used to love going in baileys every thursday friday and saturday night, started going in when i was 17 (but my parents didnt know, they didnt agree with underage drinking) and i had the time of my life. even on the night someone stole my handbag and new wedge heel shoes i had just baught. i have lots of memories and was wondering if anyone on the forum used to go in.

Went in the first night it opened to the public. The first night was for civic dignitaries, yes the Lord Mayor went ! Kept going in for years after. A brilliant place that gradually went downhill as tastes changed and the acts demanded more money. Cavendish room for the main act, Latino Lounge for lesser turns and a small disco. Big Oggie on the door. Have seen lots of big-name acts - Bruce Forsythe, Bob Monkhouse et al. Think it became a dismal disco called Cairo Jax.

Went in the first night it opened to the public. The first night was for civic dignitaries, yes the Lord Mayor went ! Kept going in for years after. A brilliant place that gradually went downhill as tastes changed and the acts demanded more money. Cavendish room for the main act, Latino Lounge for lesser turns and a small disco. Big Oggie on the door. Have seen lots of big-name acts - Bruce Forsythe, Bob Monkhouse et al. Think it became a dismal disco called Cairo Jax.

yes it did become cairo jax and also romeo and juliets.

My dad woked on the door at Cavedish for a short while. There was a compere there called Tom Gerrard, a really nice bloke. I also worked for a guy called Chris Dolchinie who was manager there (when it was Baileys I think).

I remember meeting Oggie (wilson?), he was working the door at Pinegrove country club.

I've only just realised all the above are now deceased even though they weren't that old!

How sad that they are no longer with us. You are right they never seemed that old.

More memories. The quite decent resteraunt near the entrance, with an Italian chef called Victor.

Snowy, with the small band that did excellent Sinatra type stuff from a small balcony in the Cavendish room in the early years.

Happy days

All the clubs were nice and smart in the 60's, good staff sorted out any trouble, good acts etc;

So the old Cavendish is now a job centre, the Penny Farthing looks like a doss house and I believe that the Heartbeat is a function room. Call it progress :confused:

Archived