Returning to oz, any thoughts?

asti

Greetings people,

Going to visit my son in oz, fly to Brisbane 16/1/07, few days there then drive down to Sidney for a 5 week stay, Any advice on where to stay on the drive

down would be helpful, places to see etc,

Greetings people,

Going to visit my son in oz, fly to Brisbane 16/1/07, few days there then drive down to Sidney for a 5 week stay, Any advice on where to stay on the drive

asti, most places are nice on the way down to Sydney, if you stop at them all you will use up all your time, Byron Bay for coffee & a look at the lighthouse, Iluka or Yamba are supposed to be nice, Coffs Harbour is a good place to stay overnight, it's about a 12 to 14 hour drive down to Sydney from Brissy.

Port Macquarie is another decent place although I haven't been there for years, we drove straight through, stopping just for meals but I wouldn't do it again, I got too tired.

Get a brochure from any tourist info place, that way you can choose what kind of environment you desire to see, everyone is different.

Once in Sydney, the Manly ferry ride is a must, a trip to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, Stanwell Park, south of Sydney is a breathtaking view.

Have a good holiday.

Greetings people,

asti, Hazel might be able to help when she comes on, she visits her son often in oz.

Hi asti,

Get yourself a copy of the Lonely Planet guide to East Coast Australia - we followed that when we did the drive from Brisbane to Sydney. We took a week to do it and the book was spot on with what to do, where to stay etc.

It's a brilliant route, loads to see and do, and the scenery is fantastic.

Surfers paradise isn't what it's cracked up to be (it's a bit like Blackpool) but Byron Bay is a definite, and Port Stephens (nearly at the end of the route) is lovely.

There's so much to do en-route - try to give yourself a few days to do the trip or you'll miss all the good stuff!

Let me know if you need any more details - I'll dig our travel diary out to see what we got up to.

cheers, have a good one!

Greetings people,

Many thanks for the assistance,local charity shop provided the rough guide to OZ and i,m in the process of booking the hotels at Coolangatta and Yamba then i'll just wing it and see what turns up.

Must admit i'm really looking forward to this trip. the tickets have arrived from

Austravel (they seem quite efficient).

The first 3days in OZ will be spent just outside Toowoomba (Tara) Then i'll take a week to drive to Sydney (Manly), (The ferry ride to circular quays really is something else), spend time with Number one son and his partner who wants me to meet and stay with her parents in Swansea (Newcastle).

and it looks like a really nice place, in fact it looks like a good place to live.

Well enough of my ramblings, if you can think of anything i should look out for

(good or bad) please let me know.

regards

dmc

Archived