Matial Arts Weapons Training is Rubbish - Discuss

For Toyhawk and Cyclone, who cannot seem to get the message here is your own thread.

I think playing with toy knives and waterpistols is for children and anyone who practises this whilst thinking they are prepared for the real world are sadly deluded.

Any other opinions?

I think you are showing yourself to be lacking in knowledge on this subject.

I attended a self defense course with a job and now I can defend against someone armed with a banana. Thats what our partners were armed with.

Plus I can defend against someone who throws a punch, and holds their arm out for ages, and against a kick when the attacker throws the kick and then stands on one leg for ages.

Fingerbits seemed determined to demonstrate his ignorance of anything at any time it seems. Normally it starts with English language, reading comprehension.

Then he says something like "I've never done any weapons training, but I know far, far more about how effective it is than those who have trained with real weapons [not bananas!]."

That said there is a lot of very bad/useless martial arts being taught, whether against weapons/fists or grappling. This does not mean all martial arts are useless however.

If you shout at the attacker/thug/mugger "I AM ANGRY, STOP" that deters them also.

Its not always about getting into a brawl, it can also be about assertiveness for example.

Lets not forget its about how you hold yourself

For example this person is unlikely to get mugged because he looks confident and assertive

http://www.jesuslist.com/blog/images/mike-tyson.gif

Whereas this person looks like an easy target

http://www.hanway.co.uk/images/kenneth_williams.jpg

Its all about confidence, nothing more.

I attended a self defense course with a job and now I can defend against someone armed with a banana. Thats what our partners were armed with.

Plus I can defend against someone who throws a punch, and holds their arm out for ages, and against a kick when the attacker throws the kick and then stands on one leg for ages.

That's the only experience I've ever had of weapons training, the 'I'll walk slowly towards you with my arm held out, then you take 10 minutes with some insanely complex maneuver to trip me up'. Except for some escrima, that is, but that was with both combatants armed.

If I ever did want to seriously learn weapons defense, I'd probably give someone a rubber knife, get in a dojo or garden and just play being attacked by them a lot of times until I stopped being stabbed. Being seriously strong would be a major bonus in this, as in all forms of combat (I'm not, incidentally, I know this because of being on the receiving end). It is necessary to have a few grappling concepts though before this kind of training can be effective, starting from a complete absence of martial arts knowledge my recommendation would be to study something involving realistic techniques and training (MMA, BJJ, JKD) until you have enough ideas so that you could reasonably convert them to weapons defense yourself.

Mini_Coopers points about confidence is important, but confidence is severely boosted by an impressive physical form and by the tested knowledge that you could probably better an untrained opponent if anyone was to attack you.

Im no expert in this, but im finding the thread interesting.

One point though... If someone is going to stick a knife into you, then letting you know he has it, weather you can defend yourself or not is a waste.

To use a knife its best not to let the victim know you have one until its actually sticking out of him.

Good thread, I dont do self defence but Id like to attend classes so I always find these threads interesting.

Well, that's also a good point - most of the time though, I wouldn't expect a knife to be used just for motiveless assassination-style slaughter, more likely to be a threat during a mugging or to show off in front of a gang etc.

In both of these cases, fighting would probably not be absolutely necessary and as I don't believe a fight involving a knife would ever end without someone being seriously damaged, I'd always take the option of flight, diplomacy or handing over possessions.

confidence is important, but confidence is severely boosted by an impressive physical form .

Definatly not true, a physical form is no deterrent

The 7 stone weakling can be just as intimidating as for example Mike Tyson, er, apparently.

Confidence is the ultimate key

If I ever did want to seriously learn weapons defense, I'd probably give someone a rubber knife, get in a dojo or garden and just play being attacked by them a lot of times until I stopped being stabbed. Being seriously strong would be a major bonus in this,
Speed is more important, to my mind.
as in all forms of combat (I'm not, incidentally, I know this because of being on the receiving end). It is necessary to have a few grappling concepts though before this kind of training can be effective, starting from a complete absence of martial arts knowledge my recommendation would be to study something involving realistic techniques and training (MMA, BJJ, JKD) until you have enough ideas so that you could reasonably convert them to weapons defense yourself.
So why not try a MA that has realistic weapons training in first place and jump a few places in learning queue.

Mini_Coopers points about confidence is important, but confidence is severely boosted by an impressive physical form and by the tested knowledge that you could probably better an untrained opponent if anyone was to attack you.
I also agree with the confidence thaing, but a much smaller person who wasn't phased by their oponents greater size may actually have the confidence advantage. A friend ran a nightclub and one of the bouncers was much smaller than the rest. People were more scared of him as they assummed he must be very good at something quite nasty as he was diminutive compared to the usual hulks.

Archived