What? No Metal In Sheffield???

general_head

Corporation? Going to the dogs. Casbah? hahahahahaha! Anywhere else? Duh?

Why is it that Sheffield, which has always had a healthy rock/metal scene, and still has, but nowhere really gives you a good night anymore. Corporation was good on Mondays, but now it's just too commercial. What can we salt of the earth metallers to do to keep ourselves off the streets?

I know you probably won't care about this, but I feel a little better sharing my dismay.

i always thought saturday corp was metal?

the nelson?

I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that there used to be a thriving rock/metal scene in Shiny Sheff. back in the day when we were young :hihi:

No Rebs (kids used to come from all over the county for the dump we loved so much) no wap, no Yorkies, Maily, Hornblower... Roxys rock night.. :help: Okay that may be stretching things a little but we had options for after hours drinkies..

The current options are now rather limited and juvenile... we should agree on that.

Some Friday nights at the new Arches are rock/metal- there are adverts about on the forum somewhere (I'll have a hunt about for them in a bit).

EDIT- I think I've got my wires crossed- the thread is about the Arches pub- not the club. Sorry.

I think the point that the OP was trying to make was that there used to be a thriving rock/metal scene in Shiny Sheff. back in the day when we were young :hihi:

No Rebs (kids used to come from all over the county for the dump we loved so much) no wap, no Yorkies, Maily, Hornblower... Roxys rock night.. :help: Okay that may be stretching things a little but we had options for after hours drinkies..

The current options are now rather limited and juvenile... we should agree on that.

Totally agree with that. What there is seems to fall into two categories; goth stuff, endlessly, or just a stock set of stuff from each DJ.

You missed out the Foresters too ........

Slaps hand in shame... :P

Just don't do it again :hihi:

Seriously though, for the last decade or so it's been pretty rubbish, with the Sportsman, and latterly the Yorkies/CRB being the mainstays, but even then, it was very 'same old, same old'.

Much as I love dear ol'Viking Mark to pieces, if I EVER hear 'Stargazer' by Rainbow again, I'll kill.

Everyone, and everything.

The Dove's doing a good job, mind, but I just worry that it's too small.

The Nelson has never been a metal bar; it's barely rock (sorry Tim, but it has been a goth place for ages - and continued good luck mate).

The Sporty is just terrible now.

Sorry, but it really is awful at the moment.

The Nelson has never been a metal bar; it's barely rock (sorry Tim, but it has been a goth place for ages - and continued good luck mate).

Excuse me?! You actually bothered to read any of our flyers?

Tues - Control Frequency - Industiral/EBM/Noise

Wed - Rockaoke - Rock karaoke

Thurs - Stormblast - extreme metal (been going well over a year!)

Fri/Sat - Generations of Rock (including DJ Lez downstairs every Sat night)

The only 'goth' night (Dark~Matter - EBM/industrial/goth) we do is fortnightly downstairs, and we're removing the 'goth' bit from that this year.

So you see, no 'goth' in sight...

Or are you just assuming that because it's painted red and black that it must be 'goth'?

The Dove's doing a good job, mind, but I just worry that it's too small.

Small? You wouldn't think that if you had to clean and decorate the place!! Felt like the same size as the City hall stuck up on scaffolds pouring black paint over my head and stepping in pots of purple emulsion. Oh that was a FUN day!!!!:hihi:

And as Tim says, anything painted black (or black/red) does not necessarily mean a goth venue....or person even. We have a black ceiling and black doors but we are not a goth venue. We had a goth night last night (EVERFINK), and just twice a month, and the actual number of what you might define as 'stereotypical' excessively black clad goths were in the minority, it was a very broad range of attire indeed.

Archived