What? No Metal In Sheffield???

general_head

So which nights do you go on? Last time I went to Hard side there was Biohazard, Pantera, Metallica, Mastodon, Tool to name but a few artists played.

However if you insist on staying downstairs in the main room then you get what you deserve ;) The small room on a Monday is very good and Stocky who is one of the DJs is great....he used to DJ at Hardside which made it fantastic.

If you find it crap, complain, you're a customer!

done that!!!

no the whole thread is about djs playing songs you ask for as i like old rock and some new metal as well:huh:

if you read this thread start to end you will see what i mean

Sad thing about the metal scene in sheffield is people are quite happy to listen to ac/dc, led zep, iron maiden, metallica(enter sandman) etc. Once you start playing stuff which i consider good metal (death, early in flames, at the gates, anthrax, venom, mayhem, napalm death etc etc) you get a lot of people slagging you off. face it sheffields metal scene is so close minded and stangnant.

Sad thing about the metal scene in sheffield is people are quite happy to listen to ac/dc, led zep, iron maiden, metallica(enter sandman) etc. Once you start playing stuff which i consider good metal (death, early in flames, at the gates, anthrax, venom, mayhem, napalm death etc etc) you get a lot of people slagging you off. face it sheffields metal scene is so close minded and stangnant.

Try and get some Candlemass played then .......

And good old Messiah Marcolin is a HUGE Sabbath fan too ....... having said that, I'll bring down my live Candlemass tomorrow for after the match ........

does the name dave constable ring a bell

i think he went to manager the band candlemass :confused:

have not seen him 4 a good 20 years worked at shades records yes records with mike Shanon who is now manger of chariot Steve price went on to arfm Internet rock radio http://www.arfm.co.uk/

is it time 4 a new night club in Sheffield like rebels size there is a place next to fuel that is m.t. is it big in side does any one know is it club size:confused:

I think it depends what sort of crowd you have in at any time. I know Napalm Death goes down like a lead balloon when I have played it....especially if you have an older more seasoned crowd in........its not everyone is narrow minded, its just that certain groups of punters dont like certain variations of metal or rock, thats not being narrow minded, it means just not liking it. I know a classic rocker who totally despises and hates the band Deep Purple, ANYTHING they have ever done, but thats just their personal taste......

I think it depends what sort of crowd you have in at any time. I know Napalm Death goes down like a lead balloon when I have played it....especially if you have an older more seasoned crowd in........its not everyone is narrow minded, its just that certain groups of punters dont like certain variations of metal or rock, thats not being narrow minded, it means just not liking it. I know a classic rocker who totally despises and hates the band Deep Purple, ANYTHING they have ever done, but thats just their personal taste......

Totally agree with that.

Sometimes we have to exercise our veto on requests if we feel in our professional opinion that it's just not gonna go down well.

But also, as DJs we have to regularly listen to bands/songs we may not like ourselves. Lately I've turned over a lot of my DJ responsibilites over to Glen/DJ Kicker (my assistant manager), simply because I'm tired of having to play the same songs each week. Until I find my enthusiasm for it again. So I do sympathise with certain commentators on this thread. However, if we didn't appeal to the majority, it would be financial suicide!

which raises an interesting question...

POLL:

To all Rock DJs reading this...

Is there any band/song that you will refuse to play (even if you own it) because you dislike it that much you simply can't bring yourself to play it?

I'll go first:

anything by The Mission

Closer by NIN (I've had to listen to that bloody song in every rock bar/club that I've been to for the last 10 years! I used to like it at first btw)

Let the flaming commence :thumbsup:

Archived