The Leadmill - Your opinions?

StJohn1

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the quality bands that regularly play at The Leadmill.....this alone makes it by far the best club in the city!! Saw Jimmy Cliff the other week, superb. Will be there soon to see Ed Harcourt, and am hoping there will soon be a Richard Hawley gig.

Im disgraced in this board ,i really am.

The leadmill is the best club in sheffield okay so i havent been to them all (never been to Zero ,Banus ,Orcis(spelling?) ,Niche ,that charles street place) , maybe its not the best deccorated but when the lights are down who really cares what colour the walls are ? They play a great mix of music but also good night like Step on (best modern indie night in sheffield ????). The clubs expensive ,i say ******** to that idea its cheaper than all the clubs ive been in apart from corp.Its a friendly club never seen any trouble inside or out.

It attracts great live acts which makes it better for me.

The crowd it attracts is a wide age group which adds to the atmosphere doesnt attract all the student fasion victims like rep or the townies like kingdom.

Only downside. . . . the doormen are starting to act like tossers.

Me and a friend walking down with a group of 4 lads infront ,they then wouldnt let us all in as they said we were together which we said wasnt the case but they werent having any of it until the other lads walked away and we stayed to argue our case when they finaly let us in.Also a few times not been aloud in as too many lads ,even though we had female mates with us at the time and a few times just acting like ***** - i saw a friend been taken out for been too ****** as she wasnt from sheffield and was a friend of a friend i went out to make sure she was ok ,then the doorman said " your not coming back in now mate " to which i said was fair enough then he blew a resberry at me. . . i mean how pathetic is that ?

Still heart that place though

i love the way it looks. it's more Sheffield like the way it is now... :)

i'm just not keen on some of the music that's played there recently. saying that, there was some good stuff on this Monday (let me in this time!) but mostly newer indie stuff and not the classic Happy Mondays, New Order etc...

true about the gigs, usually something good on and would be great for Richard Hawley to do another gig. top bloke... in fact, Jane Weaver who supported him last time was fantastic, get her back too!

Originally posted by AlbaKirky

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the quality bands that regularly play at The Leadmill.....this alone makes it by far the best club in the city!! Saw Jimmy Cliff the other week, superb. Will be there soon to see Ed Harcourt, and am hoping there will soon be a Richard Hawley gig.

quality bands? there used to be quality there but it tends to be the same old NME wannabees nowardays (although they have Cathy Davey there in a couple of weeks)

Had some of my best teenage years in that place. great place for crap chip butties at one in the morning. Also I dont think I would have had half the girls I did if not for t'mill.

One bad memory - closing time. When most people have gone and the building starts to cool down, thats when their sweat turns back to a liquid form and starts dripping off the ceiling - yumyum.

BTW - The bouncers were arsey 10 years ago so sounds like nowts changed!! We used to go down in a group of 10 and before we went round the corner to the queue we'd split and go in stages, mingling in with a group of girls. Felt like a moral victory when we were all inside.

Hiya, I'm new to this site, and i've just been reading everyones opinions about the leadmill, and i have to agree that the music on a monday night is great, theres a good variety and something to suit everyones taste. The drinks are also great because they're cheap, but theres one problem.....The Bouncers.

I understand that the bouncers have to be careful who they let in the club, but they are so nasty to everyone.

I was once with a group of friends and they let everyone in except for the girl at the back of the group. The rest of us was waiting inside the club and had no idea that she had been turned away. I then went back outside and produced the girls ID, but the bouncers still did not accept that! She was obviously old enough but they didnt let her in just because they could turn her away!

Its a big disappointment when you've gone out for a good time with all your friends, and one crappy bouncer who thinks he's god wont let one of you in.

It really spoilt my night, and i havent been back to the leadmill since.

Hayley

Hi everyone, just read through all the posts and was really pleased to see the Richard Hawley mentions, I have known him for 25 years, he would be really touched to read your messages, you should have a look at his web site and let him know, it would be amazing to see him at the Leadmill again.

We used to all hang out there on Thurs and Sat, long live the Leadmill....

To be honest I actually like the leadmill... Got thoroughly fed up of all the "dress to impress" places where you can't just turn up in jeans and trainers because you want to dance your butt off and NOT pull..

Leadmill isn't like that although cattle do abound.. Some of my best nights spent there... Granted I'm feeling a little long in the tooth on weeknights but Saturdays are just what I need..

Archived