Canceling my gym subscription at Greens - advice needed

Karlos

I had a similar membership at Virgin (£40 pcm instead of £45) and they rolled the 12 month contract over to another year. This was in the small print but I didnn't realise and wasn't advised of this. When I moved house 4 mnths into the 2nd year I wanted to cancel my membership as I had moved out of the city. They refused to let me do a straightforward cancellation and threatened me with legal action if I didn't pay for the remaining months.

I refused to pay because I couldn't use the gym. They went on about the small print in the contract and sent threatening letters for a few weeks. I offered to pay the difference between the monthly payments without a contract for those 4 months.

In the end I never heard from them again. I don't know whether this has been written off or what. My thoughts are that the rolling 12 month contract is unlawful, that's why they didn't persue the payment. However I'm not certain of this.

Now that I've moved back to SHeffield - I wont be returning to Virgin. If they had a treated me fairly then I would have considered re-joining.

Allright mate. You don't know if it's affected your credit rating do you? Long story but we had some grief with the plums @ Comet about payment for a fridge freezer on credit and our rating was screwed for a time even though it wasn't our fault!

Allright mate. You don't know if it's affected your credit rating do you? Long story but we had some grief with the plums @ Comet about payment for a fridge freezer on credit and our rating was screwed for a time even though it wasn't our fault!

I know for a fact it hasn't affected my credit rating. I'm buying a house so I applied for a mortgage last month. Got the mortgage no problem. I also got hold of my credit scoring from a company called experian- this showed nothing to do with the gym.

I "cancelled" with Virgin approx 9 months ago. I got my mortgage in December '06. Looks like they havent persued their threats.

Good luck with yours mate

I know for a fact it hasn't affected my credit rating. I'm buying a house so I applied for a mortgage last month. Got the mortgage no problem. I also got hold of my credit scoring from a company called experian- this showed nothing to do with the gym.

I "cancelled" with Virgin approx 9 months ago. I got my mortgage in December '06. Looks like they havent persued their threats.

Good luck with yours mate

Thanks mate.

I gave notice one month before the year membership was over at Greens and they accepted it and I got a letter saying "sorry you are leaving but we hope you will reconsider blah blah" and nothing else. No one said anything about a leaving interview. I did decide to carry on after notice period (its the most convenient gym for me) and was told that if I left Sheffield then I wouldn't have to pay for the rest of the year.

They do not make you pay for months you can't use, the contract states that you have to give 30 days notice - so if your payment goes out the first of the month, go in on the last day of the month, say I'd like to give notice of cancellation please, then you start your 30 days - the payment will go out on the first, your membership is valid until the end of the 30 days.

If you want to cancel, their interviews and questions shouldn't make a difference (although I agree you shouldn't have to attend at a special time for one). You won't have any bother if you just follow the rules you signed up to.

Archived