Friday Night in the Aunt Sally Pub

badgerslikeh

Has anyone been here recently? If not, don't!

I went there on Friday night and it was absolutely shocking. We placed an order for food to be told it would take an hour, foolishly we accepted and waited. We onions rings + mushrooms and garlic bresd starter to see us through.

The starters arrived, garlic bread was nice but the mushrooms and 3 onion rings we foul and swimming in fat; such much so that the bottom onion ring was just a soggy ring of batter.

An hour passed and I asked for an update on our order, note: They didnt come to our table to inform us and apologise. The waitress, who was a repulsive, mardy cow informed me it would be another 15 mins. I sat down and waited some more.

The waitress wanders over again and I asked why it was taking so long, another 10mins having passed. She had the audacity to laugh and say,

"Its always busy on Friday",

"Oh well, I guess that makes it ok then...." I was ushered to say in that polite British way. "My F@*!&ng arse!"

We launched into a tirade: "Stop laughing right now, it isn't funny!" and "find out where the food is" (it STILL wasn't even on the grill!!) and "thats it, we want our money back". At this point I also shouted over to two other tables who were keenly eavesdropping:

"Don't order food here, you'll be sorry and you'll wait all night"

to which both tables got up and left, hehe, excellent. Serves them right! They lost custom from us 4, a table of 5 and another couple.

What really annoyed me was the way they expected us to sit there and wait; the looks on their face when we walked to the till for a refund were priceless.

Has anyone experienced this wonderful pub?

There's actually a simple way of avoiding pubs like this. Each one has a sign on the outside which says something like 'Buy one meal, get the second for half price', or 'Two meals for £5', words to that extent.

Such places are notorious for slap-dash anything-will-do meals, where kids run riot and the attitude of the 'staff' is based solely around an 'Am I boverred' approach.

Having said all this, with two young daughters I have eaten at Aunt Sally and found that both times the food was very good. We simply arrived early (noon on the Sunday, 5 on the previous occasion, a Friday evening).

But the best fun was watching the other families gearing themselves up in preparation to literally dive into our seats once we'd finished our meal. As soon as I'd wiped my mouth with the napkin I promise you twenty people made a bee line for our table. Man, I so nearly decided to order a sweet just to keep the crowds at bay (and of course, p155 them off somewhat).

The good lady and i used to frequent the Aunt Sally for a half-decent meal out a few years back. Hardly top-quality food, but good value and a pleasant enough environment.

Then there was a change in manager and they replaced the real ale with creamflow rubbish - as i always find that pubs which don't offer decent beer don't tend to offer decent food either, we haven't been back since.

Having said that, who on earth decides it would be a good idea to go out for a meal late on a friday night?

I went to Aunt Sally's years ago and it was great - really nice food and good value. Went back last year however on a Sunday and experienced the opposite problem to the OP - I placed an order for two meals, stopped to pick up two cokes from the bar en route and the food beat me back to the table!!

No kidding, it was there in two minutes flat and was not only a re-hashed mocrowave jobbie but was also cold and completely tasteless. Worse than a school dinner.

Actually I was there last night. We've been there quite a few times since we moved to Sheffield six months ago and always found it quite reasonable (for what it is - cheap and cheerful pub grub).

However, after my mushroom stroganoff last night I experienced very bad stomach pains and was vomiting and having diarrhoea from 11pm until half past six this morning. The d&v has stopped now but am still feeling crap.

Not 100% sure the two are linked but didn't eat anything else much yesterday as was at work all day.

I've been in a few times, not too bad price wise for meals, 2 for £7 I think, but like a lot of Pubs, they don't listen when you ask for "Scampi and chips, NO peas please", and the flipping plate comes back full of peas! :rant:

Archived