Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

Wharabart Tony Dawson, the Astralite wheels man and FTW Motorcycles. Who knows where they were ?

There was a shop in the late sixties at the bottom of Staniforth Road just below where that BMW shop is.I cant remember the name but I spent a lot of money there on my Triumph .

the one on the corner on london road with the mirrors used to be dan bradburys carn`t remember d.c cooks having a bike shop:confused:
Yes, I am sure you are right there! My regular teenage walk on Saturday afternoons,used to start at Leather and Simpsons in the Kelvin, on to Grays at Shalesmore,up to Dan Bradburys on London Road,round to Vernon Bentleys and Wilf Greens on Abbeydale Road,then walk back to Campo Lane and catch the no7 bus back to Stannington and polish my pushbike!

• 1 month later...

I used to work for charlie freeman about 1992-94. great bloke.

Eric who was there now runs EW motorcycles in stavely.

Paul who worked at wilf greens now runs manhattens.

I now work for Triumph motorcycles.

I would be interested in any stories about charlie freeman back in the day,

Hello Steve, long time no see mate, saw you in passing at rock and blues, I was in the harley davidson van:)

Now this is fun..What about Smiths motorcycles in Ecclesfield Common?His shop(and I use the term losely) was choker full of beezers,matcless,ajs and enfields.I bought many a two stroke off him,only to end their days in the Fields at Hartley brook.(in the swamp as we called it).We would prime the carb with petrol, but then run it on Cellulose paint thinners until the thing blew up.usually at speeds off the clock! The shop in Bakewell has long gone. The reason was that the floor gave way under the weight.He never sold a thing. He wouldnt sell you anything..he just horded every brit bike and part he could find. Also Not Sheffield I know, but What about a sunday trip to Bill Lomas (who died recently)in clay cross.Syd Smiths was originally at Spital hill.He dressed like a country gent with tweeds and a flat cap.Is Bill beevers still alive? I would love to know.Also Douggie who worked there.The guy with the beard.If anyone has a dealer sticker or better still a metal badge with the name of a sheffield dealer on it I would love to hear from them. It would be great to stick it on My 47 Norton here in Tasmania.