Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

Syd's shop moved from Attercliffe to Darnall when Attercliffe was developed, I cannot remember exactly when, but I guess that it was in the mid to late eighties, before the Student Games. The shop was still there a year or so ago. Syd died about 15 years ago.

When Syd retired, his assistant Les (I've temporarily forgotten his second name) took over the shop. I remember reading that Les had retired to the I.O.M and had died in a road accident there a couple of years ago (I don't know if that was a car or m/cycle accident). I think that Les's family still run the shop, or did until recently.

For those that are interested, Syd died 1993 at Norton, Les Worthington was his asst, made partner.

The shop is still at 555 Greenland Rd. Darnall and according to Google son J. Worthington is manager, still run under Syd Smith (Spares).

Got Les's name from Syds daughter, she lives in California and knows little else about the shop.

I'm his nephew and used to help out for a few years from about 1958 before I moved to York (after a mornings shift).

The shop was full from cellar to attic and he knew where everything was, the Rudge spares were up stairs and can remember having to go through them for a match.

wilf greens was on abbeydale road in the early seventies then jack woods took it over towards the end of the 70's after starting off in a small shop in handsworth about 1973, which i think was also wilf greens old shop. jack first started as a mz dealer which wilf imported.

Syd's shop moved from Attercliffe to Darnall when Attercliffe was developed, I cannot remember exactly when, but I guess that it was in the mid to late eighties, before the Student Games. The shop was still there a year or so ago. Syd died about 15 years ago.

When Syd retired, his assistant Les (I've temporarily forgotten his second name) took over the shop. I remember reading that Les had retired to the I.O.M and had died in a road accident there a couple of years ago (I don't know if that was a car or m/cycle accident). I think that Les's family still run the shop, or did until recently.

Syd Smiths Attercliffe shop was flattened at short notice when the Arena was built.They moved to Darnall next to the 24 hour garage.It was owned by Les Worthington.About 5 years ago Les and his wife moved to the Isle of Man and the business was then run by his son and daughter as it still is I think.Les and his wife started going to the Stafford Classic Bike show and he showed his scale model of a BSA Gold Star which was very popular.They were very happy in their retirement until about 3 years ago when Les was killed in the Isle Of Man in a low speed accident with a tractor.His wife was pillion but not physically hurt.Very sad.

Thank you biker for that, I don't know if Les bought the shop out when Syd retired as he was a partner in the buisiness, I don't think his daughter would know either, she didn't seem to be in England for most of the time and I had moved to York in 69

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen Carsupplier's query of yonks ago about the unreadable dealers; plate on his Fanny Barnet........., If no one has told it before, Wilf Green's early outlet before Halfway was on Abbeydale Rd., by the cinema. The Fanny Barnet dealer on London Road would have been Ropers, who also stocked Matchless, AJS & James (I think) amongst others. London Road was quite well off for twowheelers...... Apart from Ropers there was Dan Bradbury further up for Nortons & Horridge & Wildgoose at Highfields for Triumphs. Further along, Wilf Green was an Ariel stockist & I seem to remember he had a go trying to unload MZs & Jawas. You kids won't rememeber all this! Carsupplier's tale about the brake pedal being on the wrong side (right side to me!) made me recall trying a 1937 secondhand Tiger 80 out from Cadwallanders on Heavygate Road. Triumph boxes were back to front ....i.e 1st was at the bottom, you pulled up for the other 3. Doing a fast change from 3rd top had me nearly over the frontwheel when I got 2nd by pushing the pedal down.

Just seen Carsupplier's query of yonks ago about the unreadable dealers; plate on his Fanny Barnet........., If no one has told it before, Wilf Green's early outlet before Halfway was on Abbeydale Rd., by the cinema. The Fanny Barnet dealer on London Road would have been Ropers, who also stocked Matchless, AJS & James (I think) amongst others. London Road was quite well off for twowheelers...... Apart from Ropers there was Dan Bradbury further up for Nortons & Horridge & Wildgoose at Highfields for Triumphs. Further along, Wilf Green was an Ariel stockist & I seem to remember he had a go trying to unload MZs & Jawas. You kids won't rememeber all this! Carsupplier's tale about the brake pedal being on the wrong side (right side to me!) made me recall trying a 1937 secondhand Tiger 80 out from Cadwallanders on Heavygate Road. Triumph boxes were back to front ....i.e 1st was at the bottom, you pulled up for the other 3. Doing a fast change from 3rd top had me nearly over the frontwheel when I got 2nd by pushing the pedal down.

Was Leather and Simpsons also on London Rd about the same time.

Was Leather and Simpsons also on London Rd about the same time.

Leather and Simpsons were just off Infirmary Road in 1965 as I had my first MOT (and bike ride !!) then.I still remember being jacked up a greasy ramp and being told to hold the bike on its back brake only,which meant holding it up on 1 leg !!! I failed !! I also tried to go around the one way system round the churchyard the wrong way.I wondered why everybody was driving straight at me.Its no wonder we have bike training now.They eventually moved nearby and closed about 3 years ago.

London Road was quite well off for twowheelers...... Apart from Ropers there was Dan Bradbury further up for Nortons & Horridge & Wildgoose at Highfields for Triumphs. .

Charlie Freemans was also on london road just after Bradbury's....:)