Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

No

I didn't really know Jeff, but remember the name

I remember laying under a Reliant Robin he'd sent round for some chassis welding.

I set fire to the plastic fuel pipe. How the whole thing didn't go up and take me with it I'll never know

Edited by Tooeg

• 1 month later...

To Put the record straight. Charlie Freeman did not have any partners! Maynard Holmes was a manager and when he left Freemans he bought a Haulage business at Brooke St. Tupton Chesterfield. He Had a Beautiful Leyland Super Comet (Leyland power plus 400) driven by Alan Wood, a Kew Dodge with a Perkins R6 engine driven by Raymond Danniels and a Bedford S Type with a Leyland 350 engine driven by me. We worked out of Intake quarry, Wirksworth, taking stone and Tarmac all over the Midlands. it was after closing this business that he, Maynard, went into Engineering with his son at Sheepbridge. Billy Nelson did not Own Eckington Fuels on Pipworth Lane this was owned by Harry Defley. Billy took over his Fathers little council contract lorry and then bought an Eight wheeler which he drove when not racing. Guessipi Pattoni and Billl Hannah (Hannah/Patton) were developing a bike for Billy and Helmut Fath was designing the Engine, to be called the Fath Four.

I remember Billies first 350 Gold Star, in fact I rode it over from Whitt. Moor to Eckington. Super memories!! Unfortunately Billy was killed riding in his ever last race before retiring from the race scene to concentrate on his new Haulage business. He left a Widow and a four year old Daughter.

Edited by garyb

Jack Storer, 16 scott road,

I remember 2 or 3 brothers that lived on there in the 50's & 60's and sold second hand spares for almost any bike in those days, I wonder if he's related ?

Jack Storer, 16 scott road,

I remember 2 or 3 brothers that lived on there in the 50's & 60's and sold second hand spares for almost any bike in those days, I wonder if he's related ?

Would this be a shop your thinking about or a back yard with old stables full of bikes and spares.

Would this be a shop your thinking about or a back yard with old stables full of bikes and spares.

It was a backyard business with sheds or old stables in the yard, you could hardly move for spares and old bikes, they even kept things in the kitchen cupboards.

It was a backyard business with sheds or old stables in the yard, you could hardly move for spares and old bikes, they even kept things in the kitchen cupboards.

Think i know who you on about i was always up there sundays collecting parts you couldnt even see floor for bits all over break a leg trying to get to bits not sure about other brothers but one was called john maybe oldest had 650 panther with sidecar used to deliver bikes on sidecar chassis He passed away tried to find contact to make a offer on job lot but never heard anything.