Motorcycle shops in 70's Sheffield

I remember Frank Smith and Arthur Smith. I also remember Alf Parker, my dad used to help him out at weekends. He used to dabble in speedway a bit. My dad had a few combo's and used to garage them in some old stables near to Frank Smiths. He was always having petrol and batteries nicked. Biking was different in those days. It was biking, not posing and poncing around in the latest leathers. Nowt looks dafter than walking around in leathers with kneesliders and that funny 'hump' on the back. They look like Quasimodo.

Bikes were transport, not toys. I still fancy ES2's, B31's and the like................[dreaming again]. The older I get the better the bikes were.

You are right about biking today and its no longer a cheap hobby.Theres nowt worse than a middleaged man in the gear you describe especially when he has a big pounch sticking out and they walk like apes and look like em,its not the same anymore.In days gone by it was a hobby looking round the bike shops you could easily lose track of time.

I can remember going to an old motorbike shop with my Dad on Abbeydale Road (between Ward Place and Crowther Place). My Dad was restoring an old Ariel NH350 single. Eventually he sold it on to someone else to complete the restoration. The man who did this brought the bike back once completed and I saw it, sadly my Dad was out so never saw it. I reckon he'd have been pleased. I'd love to see it again.

I used to love shops like this, my younger sister didn't though :)

I remember Frank Smith and Arthur Smith. I also remember Alf Parker, my dad used to help him out at weekends. He used to dabble in speedway a bit. My dad had a few combo's and used to garage them in some old stables near to Frank Smiths. He was always having petrol and batteries nicked. Biking was different in those days. It was biking, not posing and poncing around in the latest leathers. Nowt looks dafter than walking around in leathers with kneesliders and that funny 'hump' on the back. They look like Quasimodo.

Bikes were transport, not toys. I still fancy ES2's, B31's and the like................[dreaming again]. The older I get the better the bikes were.

I bet you still watch black and white telly!:hihi:

Bikes were crap then.They seemed good at the time but modern bikes are reliable,handle well,go well and stop when you want them to.And the tyres work when it's wet.And who wouldn't want to wear the best protective clothing that you can afford.

I bet you still watch black and white telly!:hihi:

Bikes were crap then.They seemed good at the time but modern bikes are reliable,handle well,go well and stop when you want them to.And the tyres work when it's wet.And who wouldn't want to wear the best protective clothing that you can afford.

If you have never had an original Bonneville trembling away between your legs you have never lived.

All topped of by a waxed Barbour with a corduroy collar .

I can feel the watter dripping down my neck now!

If you have never had an original Bonneville trembling away between your legs you have never lived.

All topped of by a waxed Barbour with a corduroy collar .

I can feel the watter dripping down my neck now!

I've done all that!Trouble was that the Bonneville didn't tremble for long before it broke down!Give me my Triumph Sprint any day!

And stinky old Belstaffs that weighed a ton with a towel tucked in round your neck,Do me a favour!

I've done all that!Trouble was that the Bonneville didn't tremble for long before it broke down!Give me my Triumph Sprint any day!

And stinky old Belstaffs that weighed a ton with a towel tucked in round your neck,Do me a favour!

Mine never missed a beat , Motor bike copper stopped me once on Infirmary Road, I thought here comes a ticket, he just laughed and said he only wanted have a look as it was the sweatest sound he had ever heard.