All time favourite Owls team

Got to thinking about my all time fave Owls line up if I could pick any players from my time as a blue and white fan. I struggled a bit with Nilsson or Sterland at right back, maybe got one or two positions that someone will provide a better suggestion for, and thought long and hard about the manager.

But eventually came up with, in 4 - 4 - 2 formation:

Ron Springett

Roland Nilsson

Des Walker

Peter Swan

Don Megson

Chris Waddle

Carlton Palmer

John Sheridan

Tommy Craig

David Hirst

John Fantham

Subs:

Martin Hodge

Nigel Pearson

Terry Curran

Mark Bright

Gary Megson

Manager: Ron Atkinson

I reckon that they'd be worth paying money to see and would win quite a few more than they lost.

Any thoughts on that fellow Owls fans,

(Blades fans, read by all means, but only intelligent suggestions please)

Well i don't go back as far as Pitsmoorlad ;) but from my time of watching Wednesday from 1979 onwards i'd have to go with the following.

Martin Hodge

Nigel Worthington

Des Walker

Nigel Pearson

Roland Nilsson

Chris Waddle

John Sheridan

Carlton Palmer

John Harkes

David Hirst

Paolo Di Canio

Subs:

Bob Bolder

Mel Sterland

Terry Curran

Benito Carbone

Dalian Atkinson

Manager: Big Ron (no doubts about that!)

Mostly from the glorious early nineties period though but that's understandable with the quality we had then

My team would be

1,chris woods

2,roland nielson

3,nigel worthington

4,des walker

5,nigel pearson

6,john harkes

7,carlton palmer

8,chris waddle

9,paulo di canio

10, mark bright

11,john sheridan

subs

12,viv anderson

13,scott carson

14,david hirst

15,paul williams

16,paul warhurst

Im only 26, when im about 50 i will be able to put those players down and the younger peeps will be like , who the hell are they, just like i am with your example lol

You could drive a bus through his legs when he went down to make a save :D

1970-71 season

Blades 2 Owls 2 at BDTBL

King Tudor comes on as a sub, Takes a shot and it went straight through Grummitts legs.

3-2 Blades and we went up that season.

Drew 0-0 at the sty in front of over 47,000 later on in the same season, Great match that was :thumbsup:

We took 3 points off you that promotion winning season because way back then it was only 2 points for a win but, thats another story for another day nipper :D

In order to enlighten some of the members who are of younger years than I. Worthington was a better attacking full back than Don Megson but as a defender Don was great. The Kop would hush as the opposition winger went down the line with the ball and Don came hurtling across. The slide tackle would start a few yards from the winger, then man, ball, ref, linesman, corner flag, and photographer would be taken over the touch line. All perfectly fairly, (usually). He'd probably not get away with it now.

Peter Swan was a magnificent centre half, good in the air and on the ground, good positional skill and an excellent reader of the game. Would have been an England ever-present if he hadn't been banned and would probably have kept Jack Charlton away from the No 5 shirt.

Ron Springett played loads of games for England despite being quite small for a goalie. Great reactions, quick off his line, brave, and consistent.

And as for John Fantham up front with David Hirst......wow, the goals would have gone pouring in.

You could drive a bus through his legs when he went down to make a save :D

1970-71 season

Blades 2 Owls 2 at BDTBL

King Tudor comes on as a sub, Takes a shot and it went straight through Grummitts legs.

3-2 Blades and we went up that season.

Drew 0-0 at the sty in front of over 47,000 later on in the same season, Great match that was :thumbsup:

We took 3 points off you that promotion winning season because way back then it was only 2 points for a win but, thats another story for another day nipper :D

Don,t knock being a nipper m8 i can still run:)

Archived