Is the fishing pond at Frecheville still there?

Anyone know how deep the pond is?

In the early 60s I had my handbag stolen whilst at dance at community centre...believe thief probably threw it in pond after taking money out.

i dont think it's very deep about 4 or five feet. you'll probably find your bag on the handlebars of one of the hundreds of bikes which have been dragged out of thier over the years . mind you your bellair laquer will be a collectors item :hihi:

I am so pleased to make contact with Frecheville again. It was a part of my life when I was growing up, and wartime memories of the place are still very strong. I remember all the old shops. Does anyone else remember Vardeys Pork butcherz, Shentalls, Browns butchers, Weatherills newspapers and bakers, Clarkes ironmongers, Masons Drapers, Jamiesons chemist and Shepherds fish and chip shop. My friend Brenda from Brushfield Grove, and I used to take her dads' beer bottle empties back to the Birley, then go the Shepherds for a fishcake and chips each. Our parents never worried about us being out in the dark, even in the blackout!!!!!. Brenda sadly died seven years ago, but we always kept in touch. Her dad was in the Home Guard, and we went to the dances at the Community Centre, also the twopenny hops on a Monday night where records were played. Wonderful happy times. Melvene Spenc

Great memories. Frecheville was a brilliant place to grow up in. I remember all the shops well, and was a paper boy at Butlers. Do you remember potato picking at Rhode's Farm on White Lane, and helping with haymaking and riding on the tractors and trailers? Health and Safety would have a field day today, but I think most of us survived. Re Frecheville Pond, I walked across it when I was about 14 I think. Couldn't swim a stroke and with water right up to my nostrils, I still shudder when I think back. And what about the battles with Springers and Hollinsenders? Dear oh dear, did someone say it was a select place!

Tony,

I'm a Springer...maybe we exchanged a rock or two.

Remember the heather that grew in the wood? And the blackberries? Wonder if the cat and dog pond is still there? I tried looking on GoogleEarth but couldn't make it out.

No,the Cat and Dog is long gone. There were two ponds at the bottom of Jaunty Lane and the Long Fields,but one of them always seemed to be nearly dry. Nearby,of course was the "forbidden" quarry that was patrolled by a very able ,disabled, "gentleman. Didn't stop us though. My friend lived in a farm whose land came right down to the Cat and Dog. The stream there was the Shire Brook, the boundary of Yorkshire and Derbyshire. We also frequented the Frecheville pond in spite of opposition,for we were Gleadlessites, and belonging to the lowest form of life, Coal Miners families. We went to the pond armed with bent pin and cotton, but rarely caught much. We also swam in the pond ,and as a point of interested ,there used to be a submerged wall about half way across,and even as children ,we could stand on it , the water only coming so far up our legs. Our main fear were the gangs,for ,even in those days there were gangs. But no weaponry. I was a bit lucky ,however. My uncle and family lived on Churchdale Road and that was a "pass". The Cat and Dog was at a point where Jaunty Lane meets Jaunty Cres. on to Quarry Vale View. That was a beautiful piece of countryside with an abundance of wildlife. All gone now. I was around that area from 1940 onwards. Still nearby.

• 2 months later...
this is a photo taken on earlier this month it shows the pike my son caught from the pond also just behind him is the community centre http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/cdtiman/DSCF0050.jpg

Hi cdtiman,

Thanks for showing the photo and a nice pike, what weight was it??? I had one 18lb from there, must have been about 20 year ago now, I now live down south but still miss my childhood days in Frecheville, used to fish there for Tench early in the morning in the summer, bet it still suffers from bad weed growth???

I am so pleased to make contact with Frecheville again. It was a part of my life when I was growing up, and wartime memories of the place are still very strong. I remember all the old shops. Does anyone else remember Vardeys Pork butcherz, Shentalls, Browns butchers, Weatherills newspapers and bakers, Clarkes ironmongers, Masons Drapers, Jamiesons chemist and Shepherds fish and chip shop. My friend Brenda from Brushfield Grove, and I used to take her dads' beer bottle empties back to the Birley, then go the Shepherds for a fishcake and chips each. Our parents never worried about us being out in the dark, even in the blackout!!!!!. Brenda sadly died seven years ago, but we always kept in touch. Her dad was in the Home Guard, and we went to the dances at the Community Centre, also the twopenny hops on a Monday night where records were played. Wonderful happy times. Melvene Spenc

Hi Melven,

What a nice post, my Grandparents would have known all those places you mentioned, bet its changed alot now.

congratulations to your son,its nice to see the fish are still thriving,i caught an eleven and a half pound pike from there in the eighties,there were some nice sized tench and carp as well ,i remember the two main fish,the pair of large carp,clarance and clarrisa, wonder if they are still around..;)

Hi depoix

I remember the 2 Carp, always swimming around together but I never heard of them being caught.

If Frechville pond is ever emptied, there should be an action man in full deep sea diving gear complete with metal boots somewhere near the middle. Thrown in there about thirty years ago in the mistaken belief he would make his own way back out!

If Frechville pond is ever emptied, there should be an action man in full deep sea diving gear complete with metal boots somewhere near the middle. Thrown in there about thirty years ago in the mistaken belief he would make his own way back out!

He will have been eaten by a Pike :hihi:

Archived