Is the fishing pond at Frecheville still there?

Yes you were invited to have a house there, Henry Boot was a Derbyshire firm and he was a friend of my grandparents. the family (Mine) had12 relatives who had houses, most of them originated in Calver/ Hathersage/Grindleford area. Yes the pond is there a friend of mine goes fishing every weekend and Yes I to got thrown in in full school uniform.Miss Green was not amused. pm for more info.

• 5 months later...

I took my son up to have a go for the pike in frechville pond yesterday using plugs and spinners, no luck !! I did however see a half dead tench (now despatched) that weighed about 3lbs. An elderly chap told me that the environment dept had been up and taken fish out of the pond, he thought that they were going to clean the pond out again and then re introduce the fish.. It could make a really good fishing venue if the locals did a bit of policing when the kids start throwing rubbish in.. Will update this post when i do a bit of digging around tomorrow to find out whats happening with the pond.. :thumbsup:

I remember back in 1972 my relatives living at Frecheville and me and my cousins used to go to a large pond at the back of a community centre and sit and talk to the men fishing there.

Is it still there do you know?

Thanks.

Yes the pond is still there and peoplestill fish there but you cant let the kids go cos idiots throw there rods in and run off .lucky if thats all they do

I lived at the of fretcheville befor the est. was built around 1932 there was a farm mother would help the farmers wife the farmers name thomas allsopp there was a slauter house he was also a scrap dealer as 4or5 yearold to the norton airadrome were he had a hanger rec. buses down next to the farm lot buses I loved I played in them for houers very good times we then to birly vale I now live in cornwall for 40 yrs best move we ever made

I used to fish there in the late 60's and 70's and my Dad used to fish there as well, My Dad's parents lived on Brushfield which is where he was born and myself.

I remember fihing for Tench on the edge of the reads and getting my line snapped several times.

fished there for 15 years on and off.. always caught loads of fish even though its really shallow.. the tench can go up to at least 6 pounds and the carp up to 20+.. they used to be bigger but the biggest ones were taken out many years ago.. i find that the non brand fish pellets from billy clarks work best for the tench..

it is a funny place to fish at times.. early morning is easily the best time to try but once it gets to noon you may as well not bother.

Archived