Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

From what I've seen recently, a striker with pace would be my no1 requirement during the summer.

Clarke - big and slow

MacLean - Great touch/control-no pace

Burton- Fastest we have, but his legs are going

Tudgay- Playing out of position and not a 20 goal a season man

Sharp would be pretty handy in my opinion, but can't see him coming now Scunny are up.

I'll have to have a think about this one....

Jim

Well, with a 2 million price tag on Simek it looks like the American International will be leaving S6 in the Summer. :(
:suspect: Laws has spoken of his desire to add two or three quality players to his squad and has identified potential targets.

A goalkeeper is the priority, and the Owls manager wants extra depth in defence and in midfield...

sheff star:

Owls keep up the search for new talent:

SHEFFIELD Wednesday's inclusion of non-League striker Lee Kerr in a Reserve game is a sign of Brian Laws's aim of finding a "rough diamond."

The Owls will not be signing Whitley Bay forward Kerr - but nor will Laws deviate from a policy of giving lesser known players a chance to try to prove themselves on the Hillsborough stage.

"We're always looking to see if there's a rough diamond out there" said the Owls manager, "and taking a look at triallists in games like this is a part of that process."

Another example of a triallist who was plunged unheralded into a Reserve game was Algeria international defender Samir Beloufa, in February.

Like Beloufa, Kerr turned out to be not quite what the Owls want. Laws explained: "Lee has scored a lot of goals; our North-east scout mentioned him, and we decided to have a look at him.

"He didn't disappoint anybody in the match. He made some good individual moves. The overall package, in terms of the player he is, is not quite what we are looking for."

Kerr played a full game as the Owls lost 2-1 to Birmingham at Hillsborough

He is 19 and comes from Jarrow. He has scored more than 20 goals this season for Northern League high-fliers Whitley Bay.

He has had trials at Stockport, Newcastle and Bristol City, and attracted attention from several other league clubs, including Norwich.

The striker has also been nominated for a non-League publication's Young Player of the Year award.

Kerr set a record in during the 2004/05 season when he became the only player ever to have scored in the FA Cup, FA Vase and FA Youth Cup in one season.

Looking at triallists is of course not the Owls' only course of action as they plan for next season.

Id like us to try and prise some one like marlon harewood, some one with a proven goalscoring record at championship level, west ham will be offloading lots of players at the end of the season and i don,t see why Wednesday shouldn,t be going for players like him now were showing promise and surely players will see that.

Also i reckon we should try and get neil alexander we need a goalkeeper as this situation has been like this for a couple of years now.

Bye, bye Iain. :sad:

I hope Adamson has learnt a few things from him for the remaining games! :help:

Last game for Turner

SHEFFIELD Wednesday are to lose star keeper Iain Turner after this Saturday's match against Coventry.

Everton are recalling him from his loan because their on-loan Manchester United keeper Tim Howard is barred from playing against the Premiership leaders on April 28.

It will mean a chance for Owls No 2 Chris Adamson in the last two games of the season, with youngster Richard O'Donnell probably on the bench.

There is no suggestion that Wednesday will bring back Mark Crossley, who was replaced by Turner.

Crossley is technically still on loan to the Owls but has been training with Fulham and not playing in matches.

Owls boss Brian Laws revealed: "Everton want Iain back after Saturday.

"He's been a sensational player for us. If we could have kept him it would have been fantastic. I spoke to David Moyes; Everton will have a keeper problem themselves, and after Iain gone back there, he will not be able to return here this season.

"As for next season, we're still trying to get the lad back here. There's a lot of talking to be done. Let's hope he's here next season on loan.

"We have three or four other possible targets if that falls down.

"We have shown that if you get a quality keeper in, it does win you games. If we get a keeper of Iain's calibre, I think we'll be all right."

Everton boss Moyes had already ruled out selling Turner to Wednesday, because the 23-year-old is regarded as having a bright future at Goodison Park.

Although losing Turner for the season's finale is a blow to the Owls, their fears of seeing Steve Watson recalled by West Brom seem to be receding.

Albion boss Tony Mowbray is hit by injuries and suspensions but has revealed: "We have a 24 hour recall and it's not something we're thinking about at the moment. I don't feel as if it's something we need to address just yet."

if your talking about what you,ve won support fan base etc etc then yes i would.

Sunderland don,t get nothing like the attendances they are getting now when there doing poor, and im not exactley sure what they have won but you don,t exactley see there captain lifting cups every season do you?

I think Sunderland will struggle to stay up again in the premiership next season never mind who,s manging them.

if your talking about what you,ve won support fan base etc etc then yes i would.

Sunderland don,t get nothing like the attendances they are getting now when there doing poor, and im not exactley sure what they have won but you don,t exactley see there captain lifting cups every season do you?

I think Sunderland will struggle to stay up again in the premiership next season never mind who,s manging them.

well they have won the league in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913 and 1936 and won the FA cup - 1937, 1973 - thats not too bad- plus there attendances this year have been excellent!

All a very very long time ago, and as for the crowds thing its swings and roundabouts,its not as if Sunderland have been getting great crowds, even this season last august at home to west brom they only got 24.242, a very poor attendance for the beginning of the season.

Archived