Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

hi there-dont know what the score was today(not a big footie fan im afraid) but im really hoping wed won,as the sunderland supporters that were throwing beer cans at me n the kids today were total t***s. God i hope the chavvy prats lost???? :rant:

hi there-dont know what the score was today(not a big footie fan im afraid) but im really hoping wed won,as the sunderland supporters that were throwing beer cans at me n the kids today were total t***s. God i hope the chavvy prats lost???? :rant:

'fraid not gnomi! Sorry to hear that you had to suffer that. Not football supporters, just louts I'm afraid! They spoil it for the rest. Hope you're all ok!

:gag: Should av kept mi trap shut:D

2-4:gag:

Well, considering they were missing quite at the back today, it was really a foregone conclusion before they kicked a ball really. I was happy that they made a go of it though and with a bit more luck might have nicked a point. Unfortunately they got the killer goal. Southampton will be different. :thumbsup:

I didn't get to hear the commentry so would like to know how you saw the game.

Well, considering they were missing quite at the back today, it was really a foregone conclusion before they kicked a ball really. I was happy that they made a go of it though and with a bit more luck might have nicked a point. Unfortunately they got the killer goal. Southampton will be different. :thumbsup:

I didn't get to hear the commentry so would like to know how you saw the game.

Football365.com:D

Sunderland's surge towards the Championship play-offs continued as they held off a Sheffield Wednesday fightback at Hillsborough to win 4-2. Dwight Yorke grabbed the first in the 21st minute, with the 35-year-old booked in the aftermath and a second came in first-half stoppage time from Tobias Hysen.

The Swede then played a key role in the third in the 58th minute, laying on an easy chance for David Connolly.

They appeared to be cruising at that stage but two goals for Sheffield Wednesday in the space of five minutes set up a tight finish until Carlos Edwards' 89th-minute goal finally killed off the hosts and kept the Black Cats in contention for a top-six finish.

Wednesday, whose own play-off aspirations were dented by this defeat, were the first to truly threaten after six minutes. Wade Small embarked on a penetrating run and found Marcus Tudgay, whose left-foot shot was blocked by Nyron Nosworthy for a corner.

On-loan Owls goalkeeper Mark Crossley then did well to cut out an Edwards cutback, with Connolly and Hysen both lurking just behind him.

The Wearsiders pressure ultimately yielded a goal after 20 minutes as Yorke gained possession following a short corner, played a one-two and beat Crossley all ends up.

Roy Keane's men were inches away from a second when Hysen's shot hit the inside of the post, with Yoann Folly just first to the loose ball for the hosts.

Brian Laws made a tactical switch before the half-hour with stand-in left-back Burton O'Brien being taken off in place of new boy Leon Clarke, who joined Tudgay up front with Brunt dropping back.

Wednesday defender Graham Coughlan then suffered a blow and seemed unsteady on his feet. It forced Laws into more reorganisation with 19-year-old midfielder Sean McAllister coming on and Glenn Whelan dropping back to replace Coughlan in defence.

Collins was booked for the visitors in the 45th minute after a cynical foul on Small but there was still time for a second in injury time for the Black Cats as Hysen finished well from close range from Edwards' cross from the right.

Clarke was off-target with a shot in the 50th minute for Wednesday, who started the half positively.

However, Sunderland struck the killer blow eight minutes later on the counter-attack when Hysen raced away down the left and crossed low for Connolly, and the Irishman made no mistake for his seventh of the season.

Laws' final change was to put Deon Burton on up front for Steven MacLean but there was no swift riposte from the hosts, with a long-range shot from Small easily dealt with by Sunderland goalkeeper Darren Ward.

Daryl Murphy came on for goalscorer Connolly with 15 minutes to go, but it was Owls substitute Burton who now looked the liveliest player on the pitch as he tried to conjure an unlikely comeback.

He played a big part in the Owls getting a goal back with eight minutes to go, drawing a foul from Collins and Brunt converted the free-kick with Ward only able to get a hand on it.

Five minutes later it was 3-2 as Tudgay's shot deflected to Small in space and he finished well, but the two-goal cushion was restored by Edwards, who gobbled up the straightforward chance presented to him by Murphy with a minute to go.

also... Laws:

"We were always going to be up against it. We had three of our major defenders out and that hurt us.

"It was really tough and credit to the players for making a fight of it.

"The fans were forgiving and showed their intelligence. If we'd had a full squad available, they'd have had a right to have a go at us."

:suspect:

keep the faith:thumbsup:

i guess most teams that played their 1st choice midfield in defence (except for Bullen) would struggle.

Brunt left back, Folly right back, Whelan centre half!

Only Lunt & was in midfield who normally is.

The suspensions of Simek & Spurr took away the attacking options & realy bugge*d up the team attacking wise as the overlap & link up well with either Wade Small & Brunt.

Hence, not much service to Maclean & Tudgay.

Will the new guy with pace upfront replace Burton & will he be satisfied with a place on the bench!

The successful teams have strength in depth & i guess we need players like Burton, Small, Clarke & more to replace injured players or the sh*t can hit the fan when injuries happen.

Since Xmas I've been watching videos showing highlights of each season's Owls matches 1988/89 thru 1993/94. I have been reminded of the great contributions made by and the on-field skills shown by the likes of Hirst, Warhurst, Nielssen, Harkes, Francis, Worthington, Pearson, Waddle, Palmer, Walker, Bart-Williams, Pearce, Sheridan, Watson etc. 92/93 saw them finish 3rd in the Premier, 93/94 7th. They had one heck of a squad in those days.

In January 2000 I wondered what had happened to the Owls I knew.

Where were the players mentioned above, and if they had left/retired, where were their replacements? How can such an entertaining and talented team go from top 6 in the Premier to lower half of 1st Div and run up £27 mill debt on the way? I apologise for not keeping up to date during the years things went awry but I would appreciate hearing views/comments on who did the wrong thing and when. Was it selling good players, buying bad ones, bad management or other reasons?

Hmmmm isn't that why most teams have a squad of say 16-20 players though, Players that step in and play when the regulars are out ?

Earlier this season the Blades and Arsenal both had to play squad players but it was :help: Arsenal who played the reserve team :help:

As for it being a foregone conclusion, no team should ever go out there with the idea they are going to lose before a ball has even been kicked :suspect:

Again like i have been saying all along, You are just far too an inconsistant a team this season.

Your record against teams above you in the league Birmingham, Derby and now Sunderland isn't too good is it ? but its very good against middle of the pack teams like yourselves.

Sheffield United got where they are by making BDTBL a fortress in the league Championship, Teams obviously dont fear going to swillsborough, If you want to make the play-offs you need to win at home and draw away :thumbsup:

But the real reason you lost is coz Mad "Un didn't keep his trap shut :hihi: :hihi:

Archived