Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

Don't talk daft, Talbot is gonna be a very decent player and 250k is a snip.

With all due respect Rob, how do you know that? I'm sure i've been to Hillsborough more times than you in the past four years or so and i've only ever seen him play a handful of times and score one goal (albeit, at Cardiff). I couldn't say either way. I've got empathy with him just because of Cardiff and because he is quick but objectively he is lightweight, realtively unproven, injury prone and ginger.

With all due respect Rob, how do you know that? I'm sure i've been to Hillsborough more times than you in the past four years or so and i've only ever seen him play a handful of times and score one goal (albeit, at Cardiff). I couldn't say either way. I've got empathy with him just because of Cardiff and because he is quick but objectively he is lightweight, realtively unproven, injury prone and ginger.

From what I have seen of him so far (which i agree is not all that much, maybe stretching to four appearances) he has been great. the potential is definately there, and whilst yes he is handicapped in being ginger, i would not have sold him.

Don't talk daft, Talbot is gonna be a very decent player and 250k is a snip.

This coming from the man who said Maclean wasn't good enough for the Championship! We are effectively selling our 5th/6th choice striker for £250,000 which is all profit. Now that IS a good deal.

This coming from the man who said Maclean wasn't good enough for the Championship! We are effectively selling our 5th/6th choice striker for £250,000 which is all profit. Now that IS a good deal.

And I stand by the MaClean statement.

Remind me how many goals from open play he has? is it 2?

And I stand by the MaClean statement.

Remind me how many goals from open play he has? is it 2?

Hmm let me see

Man City, Barnsley, Stoke, Palace well that's over half of the goals he's scored and he's only just had a prolonged run in the side under Laws. Before that he was on the bench because of the Tudgay/Burton partnership.

I think we'll agree to disagree coz you were obviously visiting Hillsbro more during the Sturrock Championship era ;)

more transfer gossip...

Chris Brunt's Premiership dream could be fulfilled in the next week.

The Northern Ireland winger is the subject of interest from West Ham United and with six days remaining before the current transfer window closes the London club may yet make their move.

If not then a summer move to the Hammers is on the cards.

The Belfast Telegraph has learned that representative of the Upton Park club has attended a number of recent Wednesday matches and they have taken more than a passing interest in Brunt.

The Hammers are still hopeful of tempting Matthew Upson away from Birmingham City and they are also keen to add to their attacking options in their fight against relegation and the Belfast man would fit the bill.

He showed his Premiership credentials last week when he was Wednesday's best player in their FA Cup third round replay defeat at the hands of Manchester City.

A bid of over £1million for a player they signed on a free transfer three years ago is likely to tempt Wednesday as the financial situation at the club remains less than stable.

Brunt's form of late has matched that of the Owls themselves as they have made a push towards a Play-off place in the Championship, although Saturday's defeat at home to Sunderland has been a set-back to those hopes.

He has scored eight goals so far this season - a career best - with what he thought was his ninth against the Black Cats later being credited to striker Deon Burton.

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland manager Lawrie Sanchez has kept his promise and restored Brunt to the international squad for the friendly against Wales at Windsor Park early next month.

Sanchez stated before Christmas that Brunt would be in the next squad after impressing for Wednesday this season.

It is almost a year since the 22-year-old has figured in a senior squad, with his last appearance being in March 2006 against Estonia. He missed the two games in the USA last May because of injury and was then relegated to the under-21 squad.

Brunt was then the only member of the squad not to at least make the bench for either game in the opening Euro 2008 double header against Iceland and Spain before being left out altogether for the games against Denmark and Latvia a month later.

I would expect more than 1 million for him though!

What is happening down in S6?????????????

If the papers and the rumours are to be believed, then by September we'll have sold all our best players to the Premiership and have a multi-billionaire running the show!? :loopy:

What is happening down in S6?????????????

If the papers and the rumours are to be believed, then by September we'll have sold all our best players to the Premiership and have a multi-billionaire running the show!? :loopy:

its called money talks??:rant:

Lastest: Owls strike £250,000 Drew deal

Done deal: Drew Talbot

By Paul Thompsn sheff star:

SHEFFIELD Wednesday today agreed a shock £250,000-plus deal with Luton for striker Drew Talbot.

Brian Laws had not intended to sell the 20-year-old but the Owls received a surprise offer that they felt they could not refuse.

With the fee agreed between the clubs, Talbot broke off from his loan spell at Scunthorpe to discuss personal terms at Kenilworth Road.

Laws had dismissed speculation that Talbot was about to be sold to Scunthorpe, who recently received £500,000 from Wolves for Andy Keogh.

And the original intention behind Talbot's loan move was to get him match fit so that Laws could make a better assessment of him. He was not officially placed up for sale.

But every player has his price, and the Owls - well off for strikers - will believe that Luton's offer is generous for a player who has a history of injuries and whose Hillsborough contract was due to expire this summer.

Talbot's one-month loan move went through on January 11 and he is said to have been impressive in both of his two full appearances so far, against Cheltenham and Doncaster.

Luton are hoping to sign him in time for their FA Cup tie against Blackburn this weekend.

Everton have been linked again with Madjid Bougherra.

The transfer window is open until next Wednesday - so there is still a chance that the defender - who is valued at £3m and has also attracted interest from Birmingham - will be leaving Hillsborough

With the club having been short of defenders because of injuries and suspensions, Laws says that John Hills is making slow progress and may not be fit, after all, for next Wednesday's match at Southampton.

Richard Wood is due to resume training today or tomorrow; Graham Coughlan is in light training and being monitored after suffering concussion and dental damage. "We'll assess him after the weekend," said Laws. "It was a severe blow that he took in the Sunderland game. He'd have to wear a gumshield if he was to play next week."

Burton O'Brien's knee injury is less serious than was at first feared and he could be back in training today or tomorrow, added Laws.

Archived