Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

What the hell is going on, are we selling the whole team? I don't think that Talbot should have gone, Brunt is our top scorer and £1 million is not enough. I am reluctantly resigned to losing Bougherra but if £3 million is offered it would be sad but good business.

My fear is that Allen is topping up the coffers prior to the EGM at the expense of an attempt to secure a play off place.

On the subject of MacLean I am not yet convinced but have my fingers crossed for him. I always think that the interest of other clubs in a player denotes his worth and so far there hasn't been any interest in him.

CHARLTON have offered Madjid Bougherra £16,000 a week...:mad: Bougherra, has been seen at Everton's training ground...:( we need to build a team.... not sell..:gag:

Well we've got to think of ourselves as a selling team at the moment. I'm disappointed about the whole drawn out saga over Bougherra. It was obvious as soon as the Charlton bid came in he was going to go. Dave Allen was even quoted as saying how the Charlton chairman had told him they were going to 'mess up his (Bougherra's) mind'. If he as he says 'wants to play in the Premiership', then i don't know why he prefers Charlton to Everton... oh wait yeah maybe that £16,000 a week has summat to do with it and not the lure of possibly playing in Europe and staying in the Premiership with Everton. I've had enough of him now just get rid and move on.

On the Talbot deal i can't see why people are that bothered. Yes the potential is there but who knows what's going to happen in the future, if his back goes again he's had it. £250,000 is a staggeringly good deal especially when you see that Kabba has gone to Watford for £500,000. We got half that for a 6th choice injury prone, lightweight striker with hardly any Championship experience, oh but hes fast.

As for the rumours on Simek/Brunt i don't think there is much substance to those. They'll still be here come the end of the season.

When we got relegated from the Premiership, we sold almost all of our back four experienced players (Atherton etc.), and we bought nobody, and the line from Hillsborough at the time was that the Kids we had in the squad were going to come good and get us out of it.

4 years later, all the so called starlets (Quinn, Morrison, Geary, Bromby etc.) had left the club for nothing at the end of their contracts.

We should have sold them when we had the chance to cash in and brought in some experience (even though thev'e gone on to worse things in general!)

I'm not happy about losing Talbot, just like I wasn't happy at losing Peacock. But history has shown that if we hang on to 'potential' we usually get slapped in the face.

wtf? is going on??

Everton out of Madjid running

Wanted man: Wednesday’s Majid Bougherra

Sheff Star:

EVERTON today withdrew a bid for Owls defender Madjid Bougherra.

It leaves Charlton as favourites to sign the centre half - but Brian Laws said this afternoon that the London club must at least match Everton's offer or the player will stay at Hillsborough.

The Owls manager refused to divulge the size of Everton's bid or the reason for its withdrawal.

But he said it was "far more" that the £1.3m bid from the Addicks which was recently turned down by the Owls.

After failing in their first approach, Charlton said they were no longer interested in the player - but they have come back into the hunt, as next Wednesday's transfer deadline approaches.

Laws said: "If Charlton want the player, then they must at least match the offer that we accepted from Everton. Either that happens or he stays, and I sincerely hope he does, as I will have him in my squad."

Bougherra has spoken to both Charlton and Everton, as he has a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to any club who offer Wednesday £1m more than the £250,000 that was paid to French club Gueugnon for him last summer.

But Wednesday are not obliged to sell him for that amount.

Charlton are thought to have offered the defender £!6,000 a week, which would possibly quadruple the centre half's current salary.

Everton's bid is thought to have at least approached Wednesday's £3m valuation of the player.

It is widely believed in the game that Bougherra is now unsettled at Hillsborough, tempted by the possibility of playing in the Premiership and of top-flight wages.

The Owls could insist on him staying and certainly will not want to let him go on the cheap. They showed their eye for deal when they accepted a surprise offer from Luton for Drew Talbot. It is £250,000 plus a possible £100,000 in stage payments, and a sell-on clause, for a striker who has history of injuries and whose deal with Wednesday was due to run out this summer.

Manager Brian Laws had not put the 20-year-old up for sale, and the original aim of his loan at Scunthorpe was for him to help himself and the Owls by sharpening his match fitness. Luton's offer came out of the blue

Laws explained: "We have never put Drew up for sale. But as I've said before, every player has his price. If it's right for both clubs and the player, then you have to seriously look at it.

"We didn't expect that offer from Luton to come in.

"It's a good move for Drew as it will give him regular football; he hasn't played much for 12 months. It's good business; it gives me the chance to move things around and create space for any newcomers."

The deal was completed today and the Barnsley-born forward goes straight into Luton's squad to face Blackburn tomorrow in the FA Cup

Hmm let me see

Man City, Barnsley, Stoke, Palace well that's over half of the goals he's scored and he's only just had a prolonged run in the side under Laws. Before that he was on the bench because of the Tudgay/Burton partnership.

I think we'll agree to disagree coz you were obviously visiting Hillsbro more during the Sturrock Championship era ;)

So 3 league goals??

I'll be honest, I want to see Maclean do well for you, but I just can't see anything that makes me think it will occur. But I have only seen him play twice this season, so perhaps he has improved. But from what I have seen of him previously has not been what I would class as anything special at all.

The goals the Maclean has scored is when you went through your patch of good form is that right? Not been taking much note.

The day maclean scores 15 goals in a championship (or higher) league, i will eat my words.

Re Brunt, he is being consistently linked with the blades, which i would hope would be true.

Archived