Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

Now, if all those of you who have recently jumped on the Blades’ bandwagon, or crawled out of the woodwork, who spend most of the day (and in one case night as well on here trying to gloat, without anything of any interest whatsoever to say) don’t mind, we have an enemy to deal with from thirty miles up the road; namely Leeds “We’ll never do a Sheffield Wednesday” United.

A club which I (and probably many others who watched football in the sixties and seventies) detest, certainly to a far greater extent than any mere dislike I might have of any rival club from our own neighbourhood (both when I lived in the city, as well as since I’ve left).

How sweet it would be to send them, Ken Bates and Dennis Wise (surely the most inappropriately named person in football ever) and all; one step closer to the drop this weekend, but the way things have been of late, I’m not exactly confident it will happen.

(One fellow correspondent on here has already indicated I don’t see enough games to pass judgement; and having missed a few at home and more away games in the last month, than I had in the first four of the season, I’m in no position to disagree.)

We can but hope the lads get it right on Saturday.

Now, if all those of you who have recently jumped on the Blades’ bandwagon, or crawled out of the woodwork, who spend most of the day (and in one case night as well on here trying to gloat, without anything of any interest whatsoever to say) don’t mind, we have an enemy to deal with from thirty miles up the road; namely Leeds “We’ll never do a Sheffield Wednesday” United.

Hitler was an enemy. Osama bin Laden is an enemy. Leeds United are a football team, and I see no reason to want them to be relegated any more than I do Southend, Cambridge United, or East Fife come to that.

I hope Wednesday win, cos I want them to get into the Premiership and join us. (Which, of course, means I want us to stay up :D ). Who they happen to be playing is irrelevant.

Hitler was an enemy. Osama bin Laden is an enemy. Leeds United are a football team, and I see no reason to want them to be relegated any more than I do Southend, Cambridge United, or East Fife come to that.

I hope Wednesday win, cos I want them to get into the Premiership and join us. (Which, of course, means I want us to stay up :D ). Who they happen to be playing is irrelevant.

What's wrong with East Fife?

Hitler was an enemy. Osama bin Laden is an enemy. Leeds United are a football team, and I see no reason to want them to be relegated ...

I hope Wednesday win,.

Taking your second point first, thank you. Most kind of you to say so.

Re your first.

Had you received the "good kicking" that I got at Elland Road, some four months before my fourteenth birthday; and this at least a year before it kicked off anywhere else in this country in the sixties inc. Old Trafford..... ( they only used knives at that time.... only joking! ), and we started to become streetwise, you would probably feel differently, and your comparison with Hitler even more appropriate.

I suppose it would be fair to say, that my view of that club may have just been slightly prejudiced by this incident, but I wasn't too impressed with their team's tactics either throughout this period, which were of a similar nature.

I have also detected a certain "arrogance", amongst some natives of that city. (This opinion was also reflected by others on various Leeds v Sheffield debates on the general forum, and a view also shared by people in Bradford (whom I have no problem with whatsoever) that I have spoken to.) Perhaps it has subsided in recent years, to say what it was twenty years ago.

Had you received the "good kicking" that I got at Elland Road, some four months before my fourteenth birthday; and this at least a year before it kicked off anywhere else in this country in the sixties inc. Old Trafford..... ( they only used knives at that time.... only joking! ), and we started to become streetwise, you would probably feel differently

Wrong. I have enough sense to distinguish between a hooligan, who is guilty of crimes, and a football club, which is an intangible object totally incapable of being guilty of anything.

sorry but i hate leeds too. sorry Heyesey no love ins where leeds and blunts are concerned. its more fun anyway. we want us to win and others to loose. more interesting. and i agree Leeds were very bad in the old days, we owe them no favours and they wouldnt give us any.

Wrong. I have enough sense to distinguish between a hooligan, who is guilty of crimes, and a football club, which is an intangible object totally incapable of being guilty of anything.

You may do now; but did you at thirteen?

Maybe the word enemy was too strong.... and I was not being deadly serious in my post.

& what is more "Mein kampf gegen der Leeds/ Elland Road / Hunsleter" hasn't got the right ring to it!.

But the list of why I shall we say "immensely dislike" Leeds United is as long as my arm; and would take me all afternoon to type in.

It wasn't one hooligan. It was at least four in a 16-18 age bracket against 2 of us in a 13-15 age group.

At the time I didn't know anything about this sort of thing. We were innocent. It was at least a year before it kicked off anywhere else.

By the time I was 16, we knew what to do to avoid it, and generally successfully did.

My god your hard work, its a figure of speach.

To me wednesday are the enemy, and im sure they feel the same- doesn't mean that puts them on a par with hitler or binladen- stop being so uptight pal!

Archived