Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Ally68

In the garage when they were cracking open the post office safe.

that happened just down the road from where i used to live... got to love zico, saw him in town the other week, by the size of him he could fill all 4 back 4 positions all on his ownsome

Sad News! :(

SHEFFIELD Wednesday defender Graham Coughlan's younger brother has been found drowned in a river in Ireland.

Terrible tragedy.

That put's everything else on here in perspective.

Deepest sympathy to all the familiy, if there is any feed through.

Sad News! :(

SHEFFIELD Wednesday defender Graham Coughlan's younger brother has been found drowned in a river in Ireland.

Terrible tragedy.

RIP Young man.

Sympathy to the whole family.

Hate reading about stuff like that.

CB

unfortunately ya dum assed blunt, the "pig" name you mentioned refers to dim wits from camel lane ie bacon is red and white. youve even started singing "hark now hear".....will pigs please refrain from stealing all our treasures, although you can have our crap players, bromby etc.

Thank you to the two Sheffield United supporters for your kind comments re. Shane Coughlan.

Mikey;

For the record Jack Charlton bestowed the name “Flying Pig” on Mel Sterland, at the team’s hotel before an away game.

Mel says that himself; and it was because “He hated to see food go to waste”, a point already recently touched upon. (He has been known to give a very amusing after dinner speech!)

The name stuck; and he was known as the “Flying Pig” with affection by ALL Wednesdayites at the time, and still now.

(He also acquired the name Zico for two reasons. One in that he did have a fierce shot; the second because in one game he managed to bend two or three free kicks consecutively into touch, instead of into play).

On the subject of farmyard animals, the Mods on here have just killed off a thread; which after five weeks and fifty-five pages of monotonous, petty, childish name calling (from both parties, and yes even I joined in); which quite frankly the rest of us are all now bored sick of.

sterland was a left back, wernt he? if he wernt i'll have to have worthington.

In my memory, Sterland never played at left Back.

He might have done; had he stuck around until the latter part of Trevor Francis’s tenure; the way players were played out of position at that time.

I remember one game where the last line of defence was Guy Whittingham and Chris Waddle almost comically attempting to dispossess Brian Roy (albeit in that case admittedly after he had taken off two.defenders at 3-1 down to try and salvage something from the game, and we all know what the end result was).

IMO Francis's premature breaking up of a good, almost successful team was the start of all our problems today.

IMO Francis's premature breaking up of a good, almost successful team was the start of all our problems today.

Hit the nail on the head here.

Francis did well for us in that he managed to sign some top profile names, but he couldn't manage them.

And following Francis, a succession of unqualified, inexperienced managers. The likes of Jewell, Wilson and Turner.

This is wht I liked Sturrock so much - a man with experience that the players would look up to.

The worst thing that happened in my eyes was the sacking of Big Ron.

Archived