Descendants of Wilfred & Harriet Lockwood

Hi my name is William Lockwood and I live in Australia.

I am trying to trace the family of my grandfather Oswald Lockwood.

From the 1901 census I have found the following details:

His name was Oswald Lockwood and he was born in 1897 and was 3 yr old at the census.

They lived in Langsett road, (civil parish) Sheffield, (town,village, hamlet) Wadsley, (ecclesiastical parish) Wadsley, (county borough, municipal borough or district) Sheffield.

His father was Wilfred Edward Lockwood, born 12/6/1856, born in Stainbro.

Mother was Harriet Osborne Lockwood (nee Garlick), born 24/8/1865, born in Yorks Sheffield.

Sister Frances M Lockwood, 18 yr old in 1901, born in Yorks Sheffield.

Brother Wilfred Edward Lockwood, 12 yr old in 1901, born in Yorks Sheffield.

Sister Mary Lockwood, 4 yr old in 1901, born in Yorks Sheffield.

My grand father migrated to Australia as a young man, probably about fifteen and lost all contact with his family. I think he may have gone to New Zealand first and then Australia. He married in Fremantle in 1929 to Annie Robertson, a migrant from Scotland. My grand dad was known as Henry in Australia and he and Annie had seven children, being Jean, Henry, Frances, Edward, William, James and Faye. Five of these people are still alive and all living in Australia.

I thought the family remaining in England may be contactable if anyone recognises the names of the others.

All indications are that the family lived in the Barnsely, Silkstone, Sheffield area.

Oswald Lockwood was actually born at 65 Penistone Road North Sheffield according to his birth certificate.

I have a photo of the family gravestone in the Silkstone churchyard were Oswald's father and grandfather were buried as late as 1916.

Details as follows:

Gravestone contains five names:

Oswald died 1860 aged 1 yr & 8 months (son of Henry & Elizabeth Lockwood)

Elizabeth died 1864 aged 29 years (first wife of Henry Lockwood)

Judith died 1899 aged 77 years (second wife of Henry Lockwood)

Wilfred Edward died 1903 aged 46 years (my grand dads father and son of Henry Lockwood but interred at Corton)

Henry Lockwood died 1916 ( my grand dad's grand dad).

Would appreciate contact with anyone who may be able to help.

My e-mail is bill_lockwood@optusnet.com.au

Thanks in anticipation,

William Lockwood

Assuming Frances M is Frances Mabel born 1883, this is a probable marriage:

GRO Marriages MAR Qtr 1909

LOCKWOOD Frances Mabel

Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 390

The groom was either John Wilson BARKER, or another person not yet in the incomplete index at FreeBMD. (there should be two marriages per page).

Getting France's M's marriage certificate and confirming her married name will be an essential step towards finding descendants (unless one of them reads this thread!)

I did find a marriage for a Wilfred Edward in Essex in 1912 but I also found a matching birth in the same area which was not your grandfather's brother.

members of this family are buried in Wardsend Cemetery (St Philip's Parish):

National Burial Index, St Philip's (Sheffield)

[name/date of burial/address/age/description or relationship]

LOCKWOOD Elizabeth 9 Aug 1892 46 Gilpin Lane 16m da Wilfred Edward

LOCKWOOD Reverty 12 Dec 1894 46 Gilpin Ln 15m da Wilfred Edward

LOCKWOOD Elsie 6 Dec 1895 11 Woodgrove Lane 14m da Wilfred Edward

LOCKWOOD Harriet 16 Aug 1900 54 Rudyard Rd 2m da Wilfred

plus this one which may be a clerical/transcriber error?!:

LOCKWOOD James Henry 5 Aug 1899 3 Ct Adelphi St 3m so W'm Edward

This NBI file covers up to 1918 so there may be further related burials after that date.

I note that the head of household in 1901 is 'Henry'. Is this Wilfred Edward doing the same thing that Oswald did later and using a different name?

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

have ordered Birth cert for Frances Mabel to see if parents match. Will then get marriage certificate if this is a match. I assume as you say, Wilfred called himself Henry on the census as Oswald did in Australia????

Will expolore "freeBMD" as have been paying to date through genesreunited

Cheers

Bill

Archived