Does anyone remember the group The Fortunes

does any one remember the group The Fortunes in the 60's in Sheffield?????????????????????????????:

Yea, my first husband proposed to me in the Arundel Club when we were waiting for the Fortunes to come on. What a great night that was, loved the group by the way.

• 1 month later...
does any one remember the group The Fortunes in the 60's in Sheffield?????????????????????????????:

Yea I remember them and still see them performing at Butlins 60s weekends. Give it a go - great weekend, lots of old time favourite bands still singing well. ENJOY!

The person who you are thinking off is my grandad Wilf Smith who was the grocer in shiregreen and had things to do with the fortunes. :)

wilf had 2 shops, one by Bellhouse wmc, and one with gordon lister, on nether shire..." smith and lister"

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:46 ----------

wilf had 2 shops, one by Bellhouse wmc, and one with gordon lister, on nether shire..." smith and lister"

lived just down from the churc and had a son who went to school with us...

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/05/2013 at 16:40, spingoboy said:

---------- Post added 29-05-2013 at 16:46 ----------

lived just down from the churc and had a son who went to school with us...

I remember them well he also had a coach and ran trips to the seaside to.They also ran the youth club at St christophers church on Bellhouse road and they used to get all the top groups there it would cost you 12 pence to get in to see these groups.Would not happen now .Can remember seeing the Mersey beats there and Jonny Kid and the pirates to.I to go to Butlins on sixties week ends they are great good to see the old groups still playing not all original but a fair few members are.Saw the Fortunes there but in the early days i used to see them at the Center Spot pub in Sheffield when they were at the top of their trade,there again that would not happen now.

12 hours ago, hehe said:

I remember seeing them at the pitsmoor w m c with my wife in the 60s 

The singer was called Anita if I remember right ,She did the best version of Don't Cry For Me Argentina I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Edited by Albert smith