Mcenerny Brothers Sheffield Wednesday

blue11265

I think most of it has been said here. However, I saw Tom play in the twighlight of his career and recall him having captained the side; before Alan Brown, on a whim, threw the ball to Don Megson during the half-time interval of a friendly match and told him to lead the side out. Don kept the job; and Tommy lost his place in the side to Peter Eustace. I also recall him coming back as coach and, following Jack Marshall's departure, taking over as caretaker-manager; as would Jim at a later date.

Can anyone give any information about these brothers. Playing careers ect. I'm a little too young to remember them but remember the names. I was sat behind them on the South Stand at Hillsborough at the last home game.

I've had a look on Google etc but there seems to be very little information.

Do they both attend home games on a regular basis.

Any info is much appreciated thanks

• 1 month later...

The correct spelling is – McAnearney

Jim and Tom both began their football careers at Sheffield Wednesday in 1951, coming down from Dundee, Jim at 16yrs and Tom at 18yrs. Jim signed part time pro in March 1952 on his 17th birthday (you had to be 17 to turn pro) and then part time because their father insisted they both finish their apprenticeships as bricklayers which they had started in Dundee. This was followed by 2yrs national service, both in the RAF.

Unfortunately for Jim he only made 38 league appearances scoring 10 goals, he was competing against senior players such as Jacky Sewell, Redfern Froggatt and Albert Quixall.

Jan 1960 he signed for Plymouth Argyle - 135 league games - 34 goals

Nov 1963 joined Watford - 86 league games - 19 goals

Sept 1966 joined Bradford City as player/coach – 45 league games – 5 goals

May 1968 joined Rotherham United as 1st team coach and later that year when Tommy Docherty left he took over as manager and remained at Millmoor until the end of the 1972-1973 season.

1973-1975 he was coach at Sheffield Wednesday, taking over as caretaker manager between the departure of Steve Burkinshaw and the arrival of Len Ashurst.

Jim then took the opportunity to move to Leeds United as 2nd team coach later coaching the 1st team.

July 1979 left full time football to concentrate on building up his second hand machine tool business in Sheffield.

But Jim missed his football and managed Frickley Athletic for a short time before taking the managers job at Scarborough in 1981. However due to the demands of his business he reluctantly resigned in 1982.

He did join the committee of Hallam FC and even had a spell as manager.

For the past 7yrs Jim has been retired, enjoying his time on the golf course with brother Tom. A younger brother Jack followed them down to Wednesday, so for a short time the 3 brothers were at Wednesday at the same time. All 3 are still living in Sheffield, Jim and Tom are still avid Wednesday fans and attend home games when possible.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
A former Owl told me at Derek's funeral that Tom wasn't too well.

Very sorry to hear this news but can assure you Tom we're thinking of you and wish you all the best.

My mum, yes of Cobden View, used to think they were 3 players - Tom, Mac and Ernie. Bless her

Archived