Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

Where's all the folk from the Walkley area that were rehoused in the 60's i.e. Elton St, Harworth St, Bloor St, Harold St, Hardy St, Otley St and parts of Burgoyne Rd.

I didn't live in the Walkley area but spent plenty of time on Providence Rd with family there, my Grandfather use to sit for hours on the stone wall opposite the library, he was always the first person we saw when we got offf the tram at the end of South Rd.

We no longer live in Sheffield but my wife lived on Daniel Hill street along with her brother Jack and sister Myrna (named Loy). Father in law Jack Loy used to go in the Blake pub as his local...long time ago though I,m talking 50s/60s.

My wife,s maiden name was Jose Loy, lots of her relations lived around the streets you mentioned.

Hi

Know both areas very well.The Library is still there at the end of South Rd but flats [what else !] have been built where the hoardings used to be.

New housing has been built in place of the terraced housing that use to make up these old streets.

Used to play on the "bomb buildings" i.e. botttom of Bloor St and used to make Winter Warmers from the clay on Daniel Hill

I used towork with a lad from Walkley who lived on Providence Road.

His name is Pete Short, I often wondered if he was still around.

He'll be in his early 70's now.

Does anyone know of him?

Happy Days!

I used towork with a lad from Walkley who lived on Providence Road.

His name is Pete Short, I often wondered if he was still around.

He'll be in his early 70's now.

Does anyone know of him?

Happy Days!

Don't know him,my Aunty lived at 19 Providence Rd, my Grandma live on the opposite side furthur up, a woman we use to call "Little Lilly" use to sit outside on the doorstep all day long.

My grandad lived on Providence road for many years .i used to visit him every sauturday when he would take me to the paper shop up on the main road (can't remember the name of the road at the mo) for my weekly magazine Best grandad ever ( well to me anyway.) Herbert saunders !

My grandad lived on Providence road for many years .i used to visit him every sauturday when he would take me to the paper shop up on the main road (can't remember the name of the road at the mo) for my weekly magazine Best grandad ever ( well to me anyway.) Herbert saunders !

South Road, they just you to say, ont top!

Archived