Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

I lived in Walkley in 1945 to 1960 in Matlock Rd

Went to St marys School when it was attached to the Church on South Rd .I loved going to school there.

In winter we used to sledge right from the top of Aldred Rd down to Walkey St at the bottom. (Not many cars in those days and the snow lasted for a long time.) I now live down South but my parents lived in Walkley until 1990.

My wife is ex pat walkley and when i showed her your comments she asked if you might know the following people..Her dad was Jack Loy who went in the Blake most of the 50s and 60s (ex Steel man) he spent a lot of time waiting on in the Blake in later life,other names are Frank Bottomley,harry Greg,John Whitehead,Patrick Handley,Mervyn Raynor,Eileen Crapper.

Jack Loy above had 3 Children Jack Loy jnr,Myrna Loy and Jose Loy

Hi

I lived two doors above Harry Greg at No 59 Bloor St Saddly Harry has been dead about five years.

Ialso remember Eileen Crapper& Frank Bottomley.

We used to go in the Blake when Jim & eunice kept it.some of the customers were

Mervyn Bainbridge,Malcome Johonson (MAC),Patrick Rafferty,Barry Clark,

Happy Days!

Dave

Hi

I lived two doors above Harry Greg at No 59 Bloor St Saddly Harry has been dead about five years.

Ialso remember Eileen Crapper& Frank Bottomley.

We used to go in the Blake when Jim & eunice kept it.some of the customers were

Mervyn Bainbridge,Malcome Johonson (MAC),Patrick Rafferty,Barry Clark,

Happy Days!

Dave

my wife Jose used to go to school with mervyn she also remembers Barry Clark.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use to live on Providence Road up to the 1960s at the bottom of Compton Street. My maiden name was Barnes and the families that lived there at that particular time were the Whiteheads, Glaves, and a family called Wharton had the shop down the road. At the bottom of Compton Street there was a shop that we used to call the Dairy and that was run by a family called the Seniors. I attended Bole Hill School and was christened at St Mary's church on South Road and I attended Ebenezer Sunday School.

I lived in Walkley in 1945 to 1960 in Matlock Rd

Went to St marys School when it was attached to the Church on South Rd .I loved going to school there.

In winter we used to sledge right from the top of Aldred Rd down to Walkey St at the bottom. (Not many cars in those days and the snow lasted for a long time.) I now live down South but my parents lived in Walkley until 1990.

Loll, I had some family living in Walkley in the 40 & 50s, Kynes, Coyles, Allsops & Deans, I use to go to St Marys church sometimes, was that the one you had to walk up a steep hill to get to it ?

• 10 months later...

Peter Short still lives in that are & is married to a lady called Isla. A relative of mine went to school with them, the relative used to live on Bolehill Road next to the Walkley Cottage pub & their father was a coal merchant.

Archived