Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

hi i was born and bred in walkley i lived on woodview road until around 76 then we moved down the hill to morley street.

as a young lad i worked as a saturday lad for sid stone the butcher next to the freedom

pub.then south road was a busy place for shopping, when sid retired i went to work for terry farrel in upperthorpe.

i used to drink in all the pubs around walkley more so in the florist &belle view.

I have an old photograph dated 1923 showing a charabanc (is that how you spell it?) It says on the side T Hogg Palm Street Walkley.

Anyone know anything about it.

My Great Grandmother (Thompson) is on the coach. She lived on Freedom Street

I was born in walkley in the mid 50's, in my grans front room on camm st, I can remember the bus terminus outside the house, moved to hoole st in 1960, the picture house was still open on south rd then, across from reg lentons fruit shop and gower & burgons supermarket.

Nostalgia- it's a thing of the past

I use to live on Providence Road up to the 1960s at the bottom of Compton Street. My maiden name was Barnes and the families that lived there at that particular time were the Whiteheads, Glaves, and a family called Wharton had the shop down the road. At the bottom of Compton Street there was a shop that we used to call the Dairy and that was run by a family called the Seniors. I attended Bole Hill School and was christened at St Mary's church on South Road and I attended Ebenezer Sunday School.

My Aunty Annie had a shop on the corner of Compton Street and Bell Hagg Road in the 50's, I don't remember much about it other than being shouted at for being near the sweets when I was let anywhere near them. I am searching family history and also looking for local photographs if anyone out there has any. We lived on Walkley Crescent but I went to Morley Street but all my pals went to Bolehill School. I was told that I went to Morley Street because I was a good swimmer and they had the best facilities. Dont know if that is true or not.

• 2 years later...

Anyone still watching this thread ?

Loll, I knew people on Matlock Road, Aldred Road, and Cromwell Street (which must have been your sledging rout)

I also used to frequent the Heavygate in the 60's

I didn't live in the Walkley area but spent plenty of time on Providence Rd with family there, my Grandfather use to sit for hours on the stone wall opposite the library, he was always the first person we saw when we got offf the tram at the end of South Rd.

HaHa my Grandad used to sit there as well, black boots, big brown Corderoy trousers, white shirt without a collar and a black waistecoat.

Sorry I forgot the flat cap.

Archived