Where are all the Walkley Ex Pats?

Dawdie

Don't live in the UK anymore, but used to live in King James Street, opposite Walkley School gates. The houses were pulled down in the late sixties and we were re-housed on the Kelvin.

King James St is still there but has an appartment block at the top of it now with I think 1 set of semi's below.

I live not far and our house was owned by a family who used to live on K/J/St before they moved!

My kids go to St Marys-Cundy Street, would rather just have to walk half way up the hill than all the way to South Rd!! lol

mumsy

I actually lived in no-mans land. Not Walkley but not Crookes either. I think it was called Walkley Estates but it was S-10 right by the bus terminus.

Half the kids went to Bolehill and half went to Western Road with no rationale as to why.

I played in the Scouts Band for Walkley Ebeneezer and St Timothy's.

Because I went to Western Road most my friends were from up Crookes so ultimately that's where I spent most of my mis-spent youth.

AKA Top Shop, Original Grindstone, Noa's Ark, and Masons, but I did spend a considerable ammount of time in the Heavygate.

Because I went to Western Road most my friends were from up Crookes so ultimately that's where I spent most of my mis-spent youth.

AKA Top Shop, Original Grindstone, Noa's Ark, and Masons, but I did spend a considerable ammount of time in the Heavygate.

Same here USUK-also spent time in the 'prinny' (Princess Royal)-Slinn St

Used to rollerskate in the Heavygate car par and down Matlock-fun times!

mumsy

I actually lived in no-mans land. Not Walkley but not Crookes either. I think it was called Walkley Estates but it was S-10 right by the bus terminus.

Half the kids went to Bolehill and half went to Western Road with no rationale as to why.

I played in the Scouts Band for Walkley Ebeneezer and St Timothy's.

I remember 3 terminus-Tinker Lane for 95, or Camm St-for 95 which went up Greenhow St-dont think it would stand a chance of getting up there now-struggle to get a car down re parking!

Also 52 terminus on Heavygate-hated getting the bus that terminated at School Rd as then had to walk over Crookes!!

mumsy

Same here USUK-also spent time in the 'prinny' (Princess Royal)-Slinn St

Used to rollerskate in the Heavygate car par and down Matlock-fun times!

mumsy

Had my 21st b'day do at the Princess Royal :-)

• 1 month later...
my ex in laws had a sweet shop on south rd.i would guess late 70's.it was next door to the chippy.i lived on freedom rd early 90's to mid 90's.used to love living up there,especially the pubs!!

What happened to the houses that were knocked down in Freedom Road in the 80's. The old houses at 21 to 43 are not there now. My great grandmother lived at 41, Nellie Settle with her daughter Joan Torry.

Archived